Haiku Beta Discussion

Haiku is official in apha state

GUI scaling according to PPI — must have feature!
— it is why Haiku still in alpha!

1 Like

In that case Haiku official not doing it’s job.

1 Like

In this case, haiku can just more as a alpha at this state. Haiku feels like a beta now.

1 Like

Is there some plan for features (agreed among developers) that must have Haiku R1? It is obvious that compatibility with BeOS today is not enough. I would say, that Haiku R1 must have all features which is considered by modern standards ‘must have’. In other words, average user who tries Haikus must never go to conclusion that Haiku is outdated OS.

1 Like

Why Haiku must have that?

Modesty is a virtue. Small steps are ok too. Rome was not built on a day either.

That’s life. People want new and/or better things, more effective technologies to live better life.
If your product do not conform to this demand, it is not needed.

1 Like

There you are certainly right, but haiku is still, after all the years a quite new system. There are only a few people working on it and there is no market in which haiku could take root.

Therefore, I am quite happy that haiku is already as far as it is.

Haiku will not be a replacement for windows any more than Linux has not done so far.

What do you expect from Haiku? An absolute replacement for windows where everything can do.
With all games, applications, drivers … This is utopian and such thinking and challenging is rather counterproductive.

If you really want to help haiku, you should not set your goals too high. for example Encourage people to join haiku, write applications, create drivers. To do things that highlight the strengths of haiku.

3 Likes

By these definitions, we’re in beta stage and R1 won’t be reach ever (“no known bugs” being an invalid statement in software industry).

And by same definitions, many others majors softwares are also now betas too, and nobody are expecting them to move to a final release but are just happy when the next “beta” comes.

2 Likes

I would disagree here, because “no known bugs” is a reachable condition depending on what you consider a bug. If you have a fairly small user base / QA and whatever they reported as bugs can be actually considered new feature / change requests, there can be a point when software has no known bugs :slight_smile: “No bugs” is impossible though.

2 Likes

This makes me think of my other favorite operating system, OpenBSD.

1 Like

Hello Damoklas. Yes, a few years ago there was a open poll, where users and developers voted for what features must be included (or not):
https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/FutureHaiku/Features#GeneralInterestPoll

Thanks, wow, I totally forgot about this.
And I think now that option included in there as ‘only-if-ready’ is not good as option, because it is not definitive. It is bad for work goals. There must be only two options: ‘must have’ and ‘not needed’. And voting is secondary thing, if some of the users need some feature in Haiku, than Haiku must have it.

1 Like

Hey readers, what about we taking here? Right, the sytstem. The definition of bug are for the system and not 3rd party like qt, java, yab,… The system and there programs. Drivers are a problem but not direct part of the system too.

1 Like

The same question i have. why is better dont have a release than have one even if it have some issues is better than nothing… every body should know that.

1 Like

Our goal for R1 is to just ship it with the features we have now. Yes, there is modern things we should do, but if we keep adding them to R1 it just delays the release further and further. Don’t worry, we will make space for new features but in R2 or maybe in R1.1.
The “if ready” in the poll is for things we could consider in R1, maybe. We have a similar thing where I work called “bonus” tickets. It is things we don’t need to ship in a release but it allows to keep devs busy once they have completed everything that could be done during a monthly sprint. In the case of Haiku, it means these are not high priority things but we can’t prevent someone from working on it (remember tqis is not a company and no one is entitled to tell the devs what they should be doing)

3 Likes

New features better in R1.1.

2 Likes

So will 3D hardware acceleration, USB 3.x, and SSD support going to make it into R1?

“only if ready”. how can we make this more clear? If someone contributes the code and it works, we integrate it. But we won’t delay R1 waiting for it.

2 Likes

I think we’ve already met and exceeded the criteria for a Beta release. So, from my perspective it’s time to start the bug fixing process, and get our existing apps working the way they were intended when designed. That would include printing, media playback, encoding/decoding, better Intel graphics support, more stable ATA and USB, and a less crashy Web+ browser.

1 Like