The contract was originally about updating WebKit and improving WebPositive, and that stayed the main focus over that year. I did occasionally work on other things as well. There wasn't any formalized contract or something like that. I could dig out e-mails, but basically they just let me work on whatever I wanted (as usual) until they ran out of funds.
This is actually by design. When the inc was set up, the point was to centralize the donations and have a neutral entity handle them. As a result, the inc tries to not interfere in technical decisions. They can only accept or reject contract proposals set up by developers (not necessarily currently active developers, but of course previous experience with the project helps there).
So yes, I may have done some work which goes "towards R1". Of course I did. Until now R1 is the only goal we have set, so any progress is progress towards R1. This is the key thing we are discussing here: I think in order to complete R1, we need to define what does NOT fit there, and as a result, define what goes in R2, and possibly beyond.
Also, I think it is worth clarifying the conditions of this contract (and most other contracts where Haiku inc funded developers). I was getting paid about half of what I would be earning with a normal job at the time. And the contractor status in France is quite a mess, with additional paperwork and taxes, almost no healthcare, no paid leave, etc. It also had no visibility since the contract was renewed on a month-by-month basis depending on available funds. (it also involved other problems such as delayed payments, etc). Eventually I learned that there was no money anymore and I had about two weeks to find a new job.