Haiku Beta 3 crash on MBP 13 mid2010

How to disable ?

I have some folders here:
cache, non-packaged, packages, settings, var

which folders should not be in there ?

I found ~/config/settings/kernel/drivers/kernel config file, which contains SMP mode, and other configs… should I change here to apply on next boot ? or need something yet to update this configuration ?

Folders are fine. I was talking about executables and libraries etc.

You can use the ‘kernel’ config file to make some of the options permanent that you would otherwise have to make on every bootup (by pressing space/shift to enter the Boot Options ).

No Shift nor Space working in my case, even over rEFInd, but I have working case is rEFInd + Haiku on USB. And after disable SMP and user Add-ons, nothing help me :slight_smile:
I remove SSD from notebook, because all errors show me problem with it… and try to use Haiku from USB only… Don’t check so much time, but Haiku on my opinion becomes stable.
I will check better soon.

Resume for Haiku R1/beta3 or nightly @ 13 MacBook Pro Mid 2010:

• No sound out of box (even device detected and show me controls, may be fixed by using OpenSound)
  • No wifi (it’s normal for Apple Broadcom 4322, god bless Ethernet working)
  • No camera (here I don’t yet try to find solution)
  • Some crashes (without understanding reason in logs)
  • rEFInd won’t load Haiku anyway, not installed on HDD, nor Install media on USB
  • Haiku boot properly only from Installer media on USB in my case.
  • When you set on HDD, boot from Installer media load Haiku from HDD :slight_smile:

rEFInd is able to boot Haiku but should be configured properly and also makes it possible to access the boot menu, which usually is not summoned with the standard haiku’s EFI loader on all MacBooks I’ve tried.
rEFInd has built in support for trackpad and keyboard including SPI variants (IIRC MacBook 7,1 or newer - there are exceptions but they are not relevant to this thread). There is an option called spoof_osx_version which should be set to 10.9 that should help AFAICT.
As son as I have time I can post the config file I use to make rEFInd work for me.
It’s crucial to enter the boot menu and rEFInd made this possible.
Re. sound: OSS usually works across all the vintage models I’ve tried but with a few caveats. Some models (I.e. 2008 unibody MacBook) need a complete reconfiguration of the audio channels. For others (MacBook Air 2011 aka 4,1) only headphone jack works, no built in speakers.
Wi-Fi: no hope, it will never work. I’ve bought a cheap TP-link nano adapter based on Realtek chip. That’s it, you have to live with that.
SSD: if Haiku works or is more stable without the SSD, this might not necessarily be the culprit but a partitioning problem. Double check your layout by following this guide or Try replacing the SSD.

Generally speaking my experience so far is good, great machines and unmatched screen quality even on the oldest models but they are not 100% supported (the trackpad is also partially supported, only cursor movement and left click).

One more thing, if you suspect your hardware is faulty, please perform a full Apple Hardware Test (aka Apple Diagnostics in more recent models). This can be accessed by booting while keeping the D key pressed (or Option-D) in some models.
Make sure to choose the full test which lasts around 1 hour.

My MacBook Air 2011 recently bought on ebay suffers random kernel panics but passes the full hardware test.

1 Like