Haiku as ideal virtual machine guest. State of QEMU/KVM/VirGL support

I’d certainly love to see Haiku run on the Raspberry Pi - at least from version 2 up, which have quad-core CPUs. But I wonder how Haiku would make use of the 1GB of RAM. The newer the software, the more RAM it usually requires. Not that it’s the way it’s supposed to be, but that’s the real world. :smiley:

Why Haiku in VM is safer than on bare metal, if Haiku is my main OS? If my files will be, lets say, ransomed by bad software - what a difference is that I used it in VM or on bare metal? I understand running VM just to run browser in other operating system - then you have a layer between browser and my files, but if Haiku will be the main OS, just in VM, but I do everything in it - why would it be safer than on metal?

Yep, this is pointless. So adding second Haiku or using host for something like internet banking or backup to where virus encryptor doesn’t have access is a must if we are to gain something.

If you run Haiku in a VM, you get the VM overhead and you still don’t get GPU acceleration. So, how is it better?

1 Like

I can imagine VM-specific-3d-driver for Haiku, wich would be a small footprint driver for the basics, wich would be then translated at the host side to real opengl, but even if something like this possible (wich i don’t know, but there is 3d accel switch in vbox, so maybe), it still needs a 3d accelerator written for Haiku.

Afaik the generic 3d accelerator support is still in concept-phase for Haiku, so first it needs to be finalized, only then can one start to think about new accelerators.

(oh, snap, i’m reading the forum again…)

I know, there are 3d accelerator plugins for old card, but they (from my viepoint and understanding) are special snowflakes and they aren’t really state-of-art. But maybe somebody will correct me.

2 Likes