Haiku and a broadcom 4321 wifi board

As far as i know, usb devices never shows up in the listdev output, only in listusb one.

Did you have any other wifi card in the machine when you attached the dongle? I’m beginning to think having two card on the system is the root of the problem in my mac mini.

Thank you - I am still learning about Haiiku. Listusb does show the realtek dongle. It also shows the broadcom card as a USB device again making me wonder if Haiku is confused over which wifi connector it is working with. Might have to dismantle the mac to remove the broadcom card to find out. Not a job to be taken lightly but that is the nature of Apple hardware.

listdev was modified to also show USB device now. But only in nightly builds, I think this changes isn’t in beta4?

Each of them (if supported by a driver) will be listed separately in Network preferences and it’s possible to disable one or the other. There shouldn’t be much room for confusion on Haiku side.

Thank you for the response. The realtek dongle only is shown in Network preferences from which I understand that Haiku is not linking with the broadcom board.

The network select dropdown shows my home network but entering the correct password does not make a connection.

Although not progressing with respect to solving this problem, with your help I now have a better understanding of troubleshooting with Haiku. As Waddlesplash says, it has been seen before but as yet there is no explanation. I will think some more but if anybody has anything they would like me to explore and report back on, please ask. Puzzles need a solution, even if the solution is that there is no solution!

What is the exact brand and order number, please?

There’s an odd brand Wifi chip built onto the main board (Silitronics or some such name as that) - but none of my operating systems recogize it, including Haiku. So, no I’d say there’s only the cheapo RTL dongle that the OS recognizes.

Hello Bruno, listdev shows it as Realtek device 8191, vendor 0bda, name: unknown. listusb shows it as Realtek 802.11n WLAN adapter, dev 8191, vendor 0bda.

It’s actually a purchase from Ameridroid US, with label Odroid.

1 Like

I have taken the mac mini apart…not as hard as some sources suggested…and simply disconnected the broadcom wifi adapter, leaving it in place.

On reassembly, listtdev does not show the broadcom board but problem still persists so something peculiar involving the broadcom board has been eliminated.

Next step is to reload umbuntu to see if the realtec chip works with linux. If it does, then this would narrow things down a Haiku problem.

Have checked password using another device and no connection problems.

I’m hoping persistency pays off!

To help anybody who might see this thread and is maybe trying to solve the “wrong password(?)” issue I thought I might summarise my findings so far:

1. Computer… Early 2009 Mac Mini with broadcom 4321 wifi board. This connected sucessfully to wifi with Mac OS 10.8. Computer incompatible with current web certification protocols so looking for an alternative operating system.

2. Computer operates successfully, albeit slowly, with numerous Linux distros. Wifi access via the broadcom board successful when correct drivers eventually downloaded.

3. Haiku installed on computer and basic operation is very good and looks to be a viable OS to use as a means of extending life of the machine.

4. Followed recommended set up procedures for broadcom wifi board. It appeared under listdev but it would not detect my LAN and did appear in network settings. Finding that older broadcom boards can be a problem a USB wifi dongle was tried. This “saw” my network but any attempt to connect to the network from within Haiku was met with a “wrong password(?)” error.

5. I am quite sure the entered password is correct and that when typed into a text editor it is correct.

6. The wifi dongle works perfectly well with Linux installed on the machine.

7. I have done a complete reinstallation of Haiku from – haiku-r1beta4-x86_64-anyboot.iso. The problem persists. Network seen but access refused with “wrong password(?)” error.

8. The dongle has a realtek chip, RTL8192EU, which should be supported. It is recognised by Haiku and appears in listusb. It operates as expected until you offer a password when you get the wrong password error.

9 I have physically disconnected the broadcom board within the mac. This has made no difference other than the board disappearing from the out put of listdev.

1. Currently out of ideas other than assuming that the issue is due to some oddly with the operation of Haiku, it’s wifi drivers and my particular hardware.

From network / usb 2.0 wi-fi: RTL8192eu realtek (802.11n) | The FreeBSD Forums -

“The stock driver does not work properly with some dongles and needs a patch
the version i posted contains the patch.”

I remember this issue bandied around in the FreeBSD forums. Isn’t Haiku’s network driver stack based on the FreeBSD one? It seems there was an issue with the mfg supplied stock driver for the 8192eu RTL chipset. I use a dongle with the 8191 and all is fine with it.

Thank you for finding that. Looks like it might be a good idea to try a wifi dongle that does not use this chipset, I am nowhere near competent enough to try fix the issue along the lines suggested by threads your link leads to.

Need to find a cheap dongle which does not use the RTL8192 chipset. My first look suggests that this might be easier said than done - the documentation for the cheaper dongles is a bit sparse and I do not think my local supplier will be happy with me trying different dongles until I find one that works!

Please open a ticket on the bugtracker if you want any issues fixed, many developers are not on the forum and it’s hard to pick out issues if the topic keeps changing.

1 Like

Wifi being painful to get to work is not a Haiku-specific issue.
I have two similar (but not identical) Realtek dongles,one is a bit older and one a bit newer.
One of them gets exactly the same wrong password issue if I try to connect with FreeBSD 13.1.
The other one connects just fine,but the speed varies heavily,sometimes it gets so slow that downloads cancel and sometimes I have several megabits.

Maybe instead of debugging the Realtek dongle,try getting a supported internal wifi chip.
I don’t know exactly what the inside of a Mac Mini looks like,but I guess they use the same form-factor for Wifi chips as laptops have?
If that’s the case,you could try replacing your Broadcom wifi chip with a Intel Wifi chip for laptops.
That’s what most laptops use and it’s supported rather good,even the fast Wifi a/c chips now that we partially use OpenBSD drivers.

Agree with you about wifi being painful to get working on anything other than modern, out of the box integrated kit.

Looked into alternative board for the mac whilst going through hoops getting Linux to connect to wifi using the existing board. Came to the conclusion it was not possible. Odd e-bay sellers offered “original” boards but decided not to go there and copious searching did not turn up any alternatives. Biggest problem is that it is not a plug in board. Connection to the motherboard is via what looks like a custom ribbon connector with a custom socket of some sort. Cannot see any modern board having the correct fitting.

I have had that strange “Wrong password” situations also, with other OSs ( not Haiku ) . What seems most to work is

• fix the wireless channel in the router
  • type the password all in uppercase
  • use only WPA2 with TKIP, when available. AES gives most problems.

Ok, maybe it stems from combinations of specific computers. Apple things seem to give the most headaches. But I have already spent too much time trying things, and decided to just use configurations that work, and attrib the reasons to angry fairies.

Yes sometimes a bit of pragmatism is called for.

Not going to fiddle with router, too much stuff is connected to it and all of that works with no problems and I am not going to risk anything. Password is all uppercase and numbers and it is a WPA2 connection although not sure about TKIP.

I’m going to try another dongle, probably taking pot luck because sorting out what chips are in what dongle and then working out if a chip is supported is a bit beyond my brain. :grinning:

Just to suggest another alternative:

My “WiFi adapter” is an old router setup in WDS mode to connect to the main router (next door house), and via ethernet to my PCs.

Indeed, it appears the 8192 often has problems here, and there is a ticket and a patch pending in FreeBSD to resolve it.

It appears the latest version is here, last updated in March:

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D38854

However, while it appears this patch does fix connection problems with the 8192, it also is known to cause kernel panics, so it doesn’t appear ready for prime-time yet. Once it is merged into FreeBSD, it will be easy enough to synchronize Haiku to match.

Its working!

Again, for anybody following my trail…

The solution was exactly that proposed by extrowerk in the first reply to my original post - use a wifi dongle!

Implementing the solution however is not as straightforward as it might be. The problem is to find a dongle that is supported and this not helped by many dongle makers not telling you what chipset they are using. Because Realtek chipsets seemed to be most prolific, from FreeBSD I sorted out the Realtek chip sets that were supported. To do this, I looked at the hardware release notes, found the drivers that supported realtek chips and then, by clicking on the driver name, looked at the details of each driver which helpfully listed the exact chipsets it supported. I now had a list of likely chip sets. I then searched through various dongle sources until I found dongles which used my target chipsets. This was not straightforward. Many dongle makers do not specify the chip set used and I had to search around until I found the information. Some dongle makers change chipsets without changing product coodes so you do not get what you think you are getting.

After much faffing about, and some trial and error I found something that worked. For the record it is a TP-LINK WN25N. The chipset is a RTL8188EUS.

Many thanks to the patient people who have helped me to navigate my way through this particular maze. It is much appreciated, especially now I have turned my ageing MacMini into a useful piece of kit rather than confining it to the scrap bin.

By the way… I am a moderator on another, non computing forum, and when I post something using my 2009MacMini running Haiku, it will be the twelfth hardware/OS combination I will have successfully used to post on that forum. Not claiming a world record, but must be getting close. :grinning:

5 Likes