[GSoC 22] Project: Improving the Calendar Application

I think that it depends how your daemon will work,

• if you can “feed” it while it is working, you don’t really need to keep the loop. Though, you may want some kind of notifications demo for the user and so to keep part of the code.

• if it has to be restarted every time that an event is added/modified, you may want to handle notifications with the loop while the app is running to avoid multiple restarts. In this case, you stop the daemon at app launch and restart it with new events at app quit.

1 Like

That’s why I suggested to handle the notifications inside the deamon not in the app. Otherwise it could fire up the app if closed by sending a message?

Yes, the daemon works like that. It uses Live Queries to get the updates of the events, and refreshes the list accordingly.

I don’t get it. Is it supposed to fire up the app?

Let me clarify. If I have understood it correctly, the problem is that the user may miss a notification because the app is not running.
I see two solutions:

1. Manage the notifications inside the deamon
  2. Let the app manage them but the deamon should open it if it is not running when an event occurs. A dedicated message would be helpful to tell the app to show any unread notification immediately before doing anything else or do some specific task, though not necessarily.
1 Like
  1. Scheduler with a system events, system maintenance, like in win98, system defragmentator, system cleanup! or shutdown on demand etc.