[GSoC 2023] .NET Developer Platform - Final Report | Haiku Project

Unix domain sockets support has been added, yet to be implemented in Webpositive. Solution would be to port Neutralinojs to Haiku, replacing Electron.

What would UNIX domain sockets be useful for in WebPositive? There certainly are no plans for that currently.
It may be useful for webkitgtk, but currently the goal for the Haiku port of WebKit2 is to use ports and BMessage for communication.

I donā€™t see how domain sockets would help with electron-like things, anyway?

Some application that makes use of socket in browser.

There are software that use socket in webkigtk.

In the case of Webkit2, it depends on the use and what it will run inside, you would have to carry out tests with popular applications to find out if you need a socket or not.

Alternatives to Electron use socket if they use webkit or webkitgtk.

As reported in the ticket, softwares uses IPC socket, this is an important issue, because without it, ports will not work properly!

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/18204

As I just wrote, HaikuWebKit does not use and does not plan to use WebKit POSIX backend for this.

This is not accessible at all to ā€œapplicationsā€ in WebKitGTK. It is an internal thing to WebKitGTK, to communicate between the WebProcess and the NetworkProcess.

Has anyone thought about seeing if the open-source (ish) JetBrains IDE works on Haiku? Itā€™s Java-based, has support for C# as well?

1 Like

Awesome job!
.NET is really needed on Haiku! And the fact that there are .NET bindings to Haiku UI is great!

1 Like

It implies many things: syntax highlighting, connecting to an LSP and providing code completion, jump to definition, support for MSBuild, debugging and more.
There are some code editors for Haiku (non-IDE) that might support C# syntax highlighting but this is as far as they get. We need a fully functional LSP based on Roslyn first. Then we might think of how to integrate it into an existing IDE.

I wish I could use VS Code but itā€™ not an optionā€¦ What about contributing to Genio instead?
Assuming we have a running instance of Omnisharp, we should be able to implement syntax highlight for C# quite easily and with a few changes (hacks?) we could change the LSP (Genio uses clangd as of now).

3 Likes

You can install haiku packages into a different prefix if you want, install ephphany to say ~/epiphany/ or something, with itā€™s dependencies

Are you confusing socker with websocket? those are two very different things.

1 Like

I used socket in the context of the ticket in socket IPC, it depends on the language used in the software or applications that make use of websocket, but it depends on the language and software used to create applications.

This is what you said. UNIX domain sockets have nothing to do, at all, with websockets. Websockets have been supported in WebPositive for several years now.

This is going to be quite a difficult problem, because:

An open-source alternative like Samsungā€™s netcoredbg might be considered, but memory bugs are to be expected.

Roslyn is already fully-functional, work on porting the LSP can start now. That said, I donā€™t know much about the internals of language servers soā€¦

2 Likes

An alternative to vscode, is geany this in the Haiku repository: Haiku Depot Server

This video explains how to configure geany for C# and compiler, video is in spanish and needs subtitles and automatic translation, shows configurations on Windows, Mac and Linux:

2 Likes

Another alternative:

CudaText also works pretty nicely on Haiku, and after installing an LSP_cilent plugin (and configuring it for the desired languages, more info here: CudaText plugins - Lazarus wiki) becomes almost IDE like.

(Iā€™m using it mostly for Python, YMMV with other languages)

For those wishing SublimeText had a Haiku portā€¦ CudaText is the next best thing, IMO :slight_smile:

3 Likes