GSoC 2021 Progress Update 1: Modernizing Caya | Haiku Project

with regards to the protocols caya uses, I am hosting services to allow usage of OSCAR (AIM/ICQ), YMSG, and MSNP protocols: http://phoenixim.ddns.net/

AFAIK Beam dot uses BFS features, you probably meant mail_daemon.

This is true. Tracker does not need to become the front end for every app. But the use of People file attributes for online status opens up the possibility of queries, which is what makes BFS interesting and Haiku unique.

The problem is not in BFS or in the query language. It’s in the GUI side of things. Tracker just doesn’t have a way to render a set of files in a tree view that’s unrelated to how they are stored in the filesystem, and it shouldn’t need to do that.

The use of BFS for mails makes some sense and works reasonably well. The problem is wanting to use Tracker as the UI for everything, when in fact it is just a file manager.

3 Likes

Thanks @PulkoMandy. That clarification made things clearer (I think) for someone reading this thread.

yes, but now there are more thoughts about the general layout for the Caya project.
I have to admit I have no idea now whats looking good or what would work for this project, I am out as a user.

Quick update: At the request of Barrett, I’ve hard-forked and renamed the project, the new repo can be found over here.