GSOC 2019 Final Report | Haiku Project

Hey there beautiful person reading this post ❤😍. We are in the endgame now (Ha get it avengers reference!). Yes, Google summer of code 2019 is coming to an end. Phew couldn’t say how 3 months passed by🏃🏻‍, but this is one of my most memorable experiences I will never forget. So let me wrap GSOC with this final report 😃😁👍. Buckle up tight its going to be a long post…

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/rajagopalan/2019-08-15_gsoc_2019_final_report/
19 Likes

As always, great read. I hope you will continue for many years and improve our browsers!

1 Like

Thanks for all your hard work, hope you still stay around to work on the remaining issues! Great work! :smile:

1 Like

yes. thanks @Rajagopalan… and my hope same with @Begasus :sunglasses::sunglasses::+1::+1:

1 Like

Congratulation @Rajagopalan! To be honest, I didn’t think webkit2 can advance so much in a short summer. Great to see the project is at the point where it is maintainable.

A special word of appreciation is for @PulkoMandy, whose openness, good willing and patience towards others is truly remarkable.

4 Likes

Congratulations. Thank you for taking on a such a difficult project. Great Job and I look forward to see what other things you have in store for us.

1 Like

Congratulations and thank you for your hard and well done work!

1 Like

Congratulations @Rajagopalan for your work on WebKit 2 and passing GSoC 2019 for Haiku with @PulkoMandy as your mentor. Porting WebKit2 to Haiku is not a straightforward task for a student and almost always requires a multi-man level effort for this to happen. This achievement is well deserved and you should be proud of this project.

We really hope you stay on to continue to improve WebKit 2 to be usable on WebPositive or even contribute directly to Haiku!

3 Likes

Thank you everybody for love and support. I will definitely continue working with haiku :smile:

9 Likes

Being late on the thread but want to give my 2 cents.

@Rajagopalan thank you very much for your hard work on the specific project ! And thank you for your intention to continue supporting Haiku development actively. Based on what I read I thank also @PulkoMandy for his mentoring, which, from experience, I know it’s not always an easy think to do.

I highly appreciate what you two did for 2 reasons:

1. Because as a developer myself I would like very much to support Haiku actively but cannot do it due to family obligations.
  2. Because, when I am using Haiku, I feel that the only piece of it that is not on par with other OSes is Internet browsing experience; which is where we spent most of our time these days. I don’t know if the high level user impression is due to core things that need to be improved in the OS or in WebKit itself or on application side. But certainly I believe that working on anything that helps improving user’s browsing experience is highly valuable investment of time and energy.
1 Like

I agree. The web browsing experience in Haiku is not bad by any means. But, it has hiccups and isn’t quite up to other OSes. I too am not sure that just having WebKit2 will somehow magically solve all our issues, probably not. But it certainly a step in the right direction, a large step. Thank you for working on it and I can’t wait to see what you do in Haiku next.

Potrzeba na pewno:
firefox-esr

Jakikolwiek działający tablet. Może jakiś tani chiński ?

You definitely need:
firefox-esr

Any working tablet. Maybe some cheap Chinese?

1 Like