Gpt chat, amazing tool for debugging

i can’t wait for the copyright violations to fly, because you can’t copyright math and the fact that code has been allowed to have patents is ridiculous, as well as copyrighted.

if 2 people both solve the same problem, the odds of the code being similar are very high. there’s really only so many ways to perform math.

at the high level language level, yeah, you could probably make some artistic case argument, but at the compiled binary level, meh.

you can actually get chat gpt to generate original code compositions, same as humans do.

You’ re all forgetting the smell of money - which can sway the legal system in some cases. Big techs & institutions are getting into AI bots now:

• OpenAI - ChatGPT
  • Google - Bard
  • Microsoft - Bing + AI
  • Alibaba - AI soon
  • Linux - Gnome + ChatGPT
  • Uni Education - safe-to-fail AI project

the ridiculous nature of patenting math is the corr issue.

1 Like

:sweat_smile:maybe Gpt chat is the source of skynet and terminator。

2 Likes

You could be right. It might not be funny if it happens that way. I’m not a friend of inventors of AI to start with.

Personally, I think Elon Musk’s desire to make a cybernetic implant with a modem is even more dangerous.

In all, tech is becoming more dishonest by the minute.

1 Like

Yes, all about short term money and completely forgetting what matters most - their users. So now the search engines will be giving you natural language replies that may be false because they are generated by an AI that has no clue and just generate random “facts” when asked for it. We will see if people like that or not.

Meanwhile we’ll be here providign the handcrafted code and hopefully some other people will be here providing the handcrafted, fact checked and reliable information, and they will have an harder job…

7 Likes

the vulnerability with AI, is the annotator who decides what the “ground truth” is.

2 Likes

I’m gonna call that ‘artisan coding’ from now on.

1 Like

ChatGPT is absolutely shocking. Until I used it last week I had never had a conversation with a computer before. I have now. Sure, its not passing the turing test any time soon, but the interactive troubleshooting of technical problems is insane.

That being said, you try teaching it how to draw an ASCII Ulam-spiral. The interactive modifications to its code was a great experience, but my god I could barely get it to draw any kind of ascii spiral. It managed something approximating it in the end, just based on cues from me as to where problems existed, but I don’t think devs will be out of a job just yet.

This was in python, btw, ymmv with other languages.

the version we can use right now , was lobotomized, I’m not sure why, but they stripped out capabilities, probably due to compute workload.

I’m using it like q assistant, it’s good at boiler plate too.

1 Like

Offtopic, but I have been telling openai to “write cover letters for this job description” and “write a diplomatic reply to this email”. My grammar is bad and I ramble, so it usually does it quite well, it flows much better than mine. Of course, I have to go back and tweak it to match my experience or thoughts. So it is really only good at providing the outline or skeleton.

It’s much better than asking a search engine “it job interview questions” as it can combine many lists into one.

1 Like

Hasn’t anyone noticed? :: “h-AI-ku”

The early devs must have foresaw the future of tech from many moons ago - maybe even as far back as BeOS itself. To fulfill the destiny, it would be our obligtion to incorporate AI chat into as much of the OS as we can. :star_struck:

1 Like

an AI user or even dev assistant like Mr Clippy, but far less intrusive and annoying would be great.

I won’t tolerate AI on my hard drive but you’re free to waste your own hard drive space. Just keep it a 3rd party add on.

Nowadays, with SMS and other things alike, people are used to to write phonetically, right? In French, GPT would stand for 'J’ai pété" which literally means “I farted”. So I am really wondering about origins of its authors. If they are aware of that, it would say a lot about what they think of the usefulness of their own software. :laughing:

2 Likes

well, it’s a free country

Disk space is not the problem. It needs a lot of computation as well (and corresponding CO2 emissions). You just don’t notice it with the online version because it happens “in the cloud” (that is, a super huge server somewhere). Running it locally would not feel as great, having your computer overheat and run for 15 minutes everytime you ask it some question. And sending all the user’s data to some cloud service is not something we’re going to integrate in Haiku.

7 Likes

Riffing on trendy technical “solutions”, how about the bug reports and feature requests being on a blockchain so that successful completion liberates a “non fungible token” to the contributor? That would be just so 2022! :rofl:

2 Likes

i don’t think it has to be a general purpose AI, more something tailored specifically to haiku, and mostly as a debugging and code assistance tool.

also given the state of NN hardware development, i suspect long term those power requirements will fall substantially

Makulu Linux Max has integrated a range of AI features, to showcase what future AI-assisted computing may be like:

“You can communicate with AI using Voice, Widgets, Text, Web and Terminal interface; and control most of you computer just using your voice. To top that, the operating system also comes with a whole bunch of custom written AI applications.”

• Integrated A.I Voice (Electra)
  • Virtual Cam
  • AI – Text to Image Generator
  • Auto-Gpt (AI Agents): find products; research; write a book, code, paper, essay etc.); create an application
  • Story Teller (AI Content Writer)
  • Electra AI Terminal Interface
  • ChatGPT and Other AI interfaces
  • Chromium Browser integration

web: www.makululinux.com/wp/max/