Google's Fuchsia operating system gets first release soonerish

I just started to prepare myself to the flood :wink:

Even if not for Fuchsia itself, just having Zircon actively developed and invested in by major corp - is a huge win.

When google bought Motorola I was trilled thinking that google would also become a great hardware company. Then it bought also Boston Dynamics – I was trilled again and expected a huge boost of innovation of robots with the new capital of google. Both were sold. Now take a look at Boston Dynamics after it got in the hands of a real Hardware Company (Hyundai)! They are producing incredible robots.
Then I remember google bought a company that was doing like modular smart phones, you could build your own smartphone similar to Lego. Also this got killed. And a lot more companies/projects were bought and killed.
Google might look like a big company, but in the domain of hardware (and software that is close to the hardware) I consider google completely uninteresting. I would put more hope on HarmonyOS (which is also open source), since Huawei is a real Hardware company and by accident I discovered that also then main developer of HelenOS (micro-kernel-based) is working for Huawei at a research center in germany.

But for me so far the most exciting news is the progress of haiku on the risc-v port.

2 Likes

This project was started by Motorola while it was already owned by Google, they did not buy it. And it was stopped because it resulted in a bulky smartphone and it turns out components are not so easy to independently update, and connectors get worn and break so the thing doesn’t even have a longer life than other smartphones.

I think the main problem here is that Google is/was very open in advertising work in progress projects long before they were ready for the market. Many other companies probably work on similar thingsand cancel projects several time a day, and you never heard about it. Myself I worked on some things that ended up going nowhere already, at various places that were definitely not Google.

3 Likes

Definitely do not want to see Haiku turn into yet another Linux distro :rofl:

I’ve got one more for you: let’s switch Haiku to GNU/Hurd. Just to make sure that we never actually reach R1 :grinning::speak_no_evil:

4 Likes

I heard that already.

Will Zircon support GPU on the userland? it can be adapted to haiku in that case to be used? maybe can be a goot thing obtain the drivers from there?

I am very curious about this, with all the layer is not so good Os, but the zircon kernel look exciting.

This is a very good question to put to the google developers. Please try contact the google support team.

I looked at their intel driver for modesetting long ago, it was quite readable, but at that point not so far a long. And their UEFI setup has been very useful source of information (and headers).

3 Likes

Does it have hardware acceleration? Flutter UI seems to be too heavy for software rendering.

1 Like

No idea, I was only looking at modesetting, and since it was long ago, it was still not that far a long.

1 Like

Based on the feature list it seems they are going to make the jump directly to Vulkan without stopping at OpenGL or OpenGL ES.

No thanks! :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:
I can’t expect anything good from Microsoft or Google … I am sick of their globalist agenda and user espionage.

2 Likes

Haiku can do the same, full featured OpenGL → Vulkan wrappers exists.

2 Likes

LibAngle comes to mind.

Since Zink is in a very good shape already
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Zink-Faster-May-2021

it makes sense to skip opengl

The reason I brought up libAngle was that WebGL is based on OpenGL ES 2+. That’s what Chrome uses. If this is the route that is chosen, we’ll become familiar with both before too long!

1 Like

https://fuchsia.dev/fuchsia-src/concepts/graphics/magma

"
Magma is the gpu driver architecture for Fuchsia. There are two driver components: a gpu-specific library loaded into each application’s address space; and the magma system driver that manages the hardware.

## Hardware requirements

### Vulkan conformant gpu

Magma is designed to support Vulkan, though it could be used to implement OpenGL or other graphics APIs. Fuchsia intends to support OpenGL via translation to Vulkan using ANGLE."

1 Like

Huawai might have been playing around with something like you describe but it seems the US embargo forced them to rush their fences and the ‘production’ version is just a fork of Android. See Arstechnica article.

Since the Zircon kernel is being constrained to about 100 system calls in the API, implementing Magma as a graphics driver set should be easier than anything Linux and BSD based. To follow my own advice, this looks like one of the “good pieces” to use.

Looking at the design document, Magma may limit us to UMA graphics cores until Google is ready to go all out for discrete graphics cores and cards.

2 Likes