GIMP on Haiku

I don’t know if the port in HaikuArchives is the same code,but AbiWord did have upstream support for BeOS years ago.
Here’s the commit which removes it: https://github.com/AbiWord/abiword/commit/e153cb594fdc9d781c8c687d29a47c0a60ada980
Sadly,it was removed earlier than I thought and probably difficult to reuse on top of a more modern version :confused:

1 Like

Abiword never worked well for BeOS… I remember how often it crashed!

3 Likes

Then Audacity can be ported more easily now? i suppose, Audacity is like the gimp for audio.

1 Like

g_spawn_async is supposed to use posix_spawn if it is available, already. Does it not for some reason on Haiku? We should fix that if so, probably other things make use of it.

8 Likes

Very strange, but indeed at the moment glib2 uses posix_spawn in g_spawn_async. A direct call from GIMP posix_spawn works fine, but g_spawn_async throws an exception. Apparently we need to build glib2 with debugging information and find out the reason.

2 Likes

The problem has been found, and it is, after all, inside haiku.
The implementation of g_spawn_async in glib2 calls posix_spawn with parameters file_actions and spawnattr set. If these parameters are not NULL, haiku uses fork(), and if they are NULL, it uses image loading - spawn.cpp « posix « libroot « system « src - haiku - Haiku's main repository.

Loading plugins in GIMP only works correctly if load image is used.

3 Likes

That doesn’t seem to make much sense. Why does fork() not work here?

I don’t know. Calling fork or vfork from gimp causes an instant exception.

UPD: not an exception, but a Sigmentation Violation signal

2 Likes

The GIMP recipe (and missing dependencies) is published.

Known problems at the moment:

1. Hangs when trying to open Preferences dialog (fatal error: Segmentation vialation).
  2. Inverting the colors on the canvas. Apparently an error somewhere in xlibe - wrong RGB <-> BGR order.
16 Likes

It can make sense if things like pthread_atfork(3) - Linux manual page are involved. Or also if file descriptors have the close-on-exec flag set (this will happen at exec and not fork time), but don’t expect posix_spawn to do that, and so they additionally used https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/posix_spawn_file_actions_addclose.html to cover that case?

Seems like there are amny things that can possibly go wrong

4 Likes

It would be good to get HaikuPorts tickets for this and the fork() crashes.

Possibly it wants to use LSB/MSB flags in XImage, I didn’t implement that. I can take a look.

11 Likes

'Twas indeed a bug in Xlibe’s XImage processing. Now fixed, and the new version is in HaikuPorts:

32 Likes

do the 3d modelling features work ?

What did do to get that Dark theme?, i’ve been trying with gsettings with no luck.

Very niiiiiiiiice…

:+1:

I’ve just made an update to Xlibe which should allow for the system fonts to be used in GIMP (and all other GTK applications). That should improve integration somewhat :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Is gimp only 64bit? i do not see it in 32 it haikudepot

Disabled in the recipe:

1 Like