Full Release?

I’ve been dying for an alternative to Windows, Mac, Linux, *BSD, Solaris, OpenIndiana, and even ReactOS. When will there be a full release of Haiku? Can the current version run Zoom? Zoom is my most basic OS requirement since Alcoholics Anonymous went online because COVID.

If not a desktop OS, then does Haiku run Apache, MySQL (MariaDB), etc? Can I SSH into it? What about VMware or Virtualbox? What about native hardware with Broadcom Wifi?

Zoom is for Video broadcast!? Is it?

So, Haiku has no webcam support by now.
It is 99% complete but not 100%

Which broadcom WIFI do you use?
All other is there.

Zoom is for video conferencing and is used a lot these days…

Yes, Yes (no, no port exists yet), yes.

Zoom is proprietary and even the Linux version is not the best, at least having issues with screen sharing due to how much things have changed with Wayland. With that said I do think it is one of the better meeting systems, at least compared to Google Meet and Microsoft Teams, which are other systems I use at work. But it is unlikely Zoom will port their software to Haiku anytime soon. They do have a web version though I don’t know the details. If it works like Google Meet then it may just be a matter of improving support for WebRTC in our browser.

Haiku has a Wine port underway (which allows running some Windows software), though it is still early days and something like the native Zoom client might be difficult to get working.

Lastly as people have said webcam support is not good right now in Haiku.

But given the situation now, not just with COVID, but also with so much working from home, and the general convenience of having meeting software I do think many of these issues need to be solved. Once webcam support is improved the probably quickest meeting software to get working will be web-based. After that probably something open source would be worth adding support for like Jitsi, though I have not personally used it yet, but it is offered as a Zoom alternative. Though I know most of the time people don’t have a choice how meetings are held.

3 Likes

There is a zoom web client that run in most chromium browserrs iirc. My family uses it.

X512 is the hardware guru afaict, sounds like a good contract + fundraiser opportunity for the community to rally behind.

Compared to the gpu drivers, webcam should be easy, and a lot of the code for memory management of streams is fairly aimple. Iirc the big issue is the USB stack. Which would see massive improvements to make webcams work.

I’d commit $100 towards funding webcam functionality integration with haiku and browser.

6 Likes

Zoom in Wine currently stops when installing:

screenshot192

Maybe related:

0164:fixme:kernelbase:AppPolicyGetThreadInitializationType FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFA, 00000000048AFE00
0168:fixme:cryptasn:CRYPT_GetBuiltinDecoder Unsupported decoder for lpszStructType 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.2.1.4
0168:fixme:cryptasn:CRYPT_GetBuiltinDecoder Unsupported decoder for lpszStructType 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.2.1.4
3 Likes

How come X512 is the only one that can code for haiku now?

@waddlesplash did the majority of the work to whip xhci into shape for example. And: we already have a usb webcam driver, it needs to be finished and tested. I don’t think it will require any big changes in the usb stack.

2 Likes

libuvc running on top of userland libusb compiles, but I currently have no suitable camera to test. USB 3 is probably also needed because it have better Haiku driver support.

3 Likes

How much would it take to get you a camera (via your PayPal link)?

1 Like

I already have quite a lot of tasks. Maybe later.

8 Likes

Understood! You are certainly busy, no doubt. Let us know when, and I’m sure there would be a lot of us who would chip in.

3 Likes

There were issues with isosynchronous streams some time ago, and buffer ring management.

I’m not super update in the state of USB.
Even if webcam deivers start working, tve pipes to tie ut to webpositive or other browsers probably need work as well

Good day,.

I would stay as far away as possible from Zoumn. When I’m forced to use it I do on an empty box, just system and Zoumn, nothing more.

Regards,
RR

2 Likes

Just replying to the questions in a simple way since everyone wants to go in all possible off-topic directions

We are in beta phase, which means there are some known bugs in our current releases. But some people are still reasonably happy to use Haiku in this state.

No, Zoom is a closed-source application and can’t be ported by us. The recent work on Wine may help in running the Windows version but that isn’t available yet and it does not work yet. And also there is no working driver for webcams (there is a driver but it needs a little bit of bugfixing).

Haiku is a desktop OS. You can run some webserver things but it isn’t really what the OS is designed for so it is probably a bad idea, unless it’s just for a testing/development environment.

Virtualization (vmware, virtualbox, …) is currently not available.

Native hardware support is reasonable. If you want to check for specific hardware, we will need the PCI ID of your network card (which you can get using lspci in Linux, for example).

6 Likes

Apologies if my information is incorrect, but I’ve read both @waddlesplash and @X512 develop on Haiku native. @waddlesplash also uses a haiku VM for development because testing and quick iteration. I got the impression that at least qemu would be working. Is that not the case? Or do devs use Haiku VM on GNU/Linux?

That’s right. Or some other OS. The closest you can get in haiku is running e.g. qemu using emulation instead of virtualisation, so speed is poor.

There is a QEMU version but it does not use virtualisation, it uses software emulation. So it needs a lot of CPU cycles and is slow. Also there is no TUN/TAP support so network access can be a problem (but I think some configurations of QEMU will still work?).

In my case, when I develop something that needs a lot of rebooting, I do it from Linux. Otherwise I develop on Haiku natively and no virtual machine is needed.

Somewhere on my TODO list I have a goal to fix network booting, so that I could develop on one machine and test on another, that would be the most convenient way. I worked on the SPARC port this way already (for the early stages of boot it is working fine).

1 Like

How about Teams? Will that install?

NAT networking is working in Haiku QEMU.

3 Likes