Forum Software (Discourse) Upgraded to 3.0.4

The forum software has been upgraded successfully to Discourse 3.0.4, from 2.8.13.
The Discourse developers describe the new features in Discourse 3.0.For now, I have activated the new sidebar, but I have not activated the chat function, since our chat is on other platforms.

This application and its logs will be more closely monitored for the coming days, though if you find any issue that has not been captured, please log it on our ticket tracker under the Website/Forums component.

20 Likes

Nice.
Haven´t looked too much into it yet, but is the sidebar configurable ? Like, to hide or collapse it ?

You can click on the “hamburger menu” button to hide the sidebar.

4 Likes

Thanks for the vupgrade.

Well, I hope the upgrade had been worth to be done for else perspective than the layout - as it is a step back for previous version. If it is the default one. :((

Now I need more clicks to get what was in the front - the menu - and could have been available immediately. And was not necessary to close items that’s just reducing page size.

Also the Menu items/buttons remained Hungarian (so gr8),
but the messages/options below now became English.

I know - bugs were asked to be reported via Trac - however such “changes” makes me only sad and not annoyed (yet).

… This way I take questionable the everyday “Proress” that makes some people enthusiast so highly in a general way … :disappointed:

@nielx looks like since the update, blog posts do not automatically generate a forum post anymore.

It looks like a known issue in 3.0.4: Embedding is BROKEN in 3.0.4 (stable) - bug - Discourse Meta

I’ll see if I can hotfix this.

Hotfix applied. Let me know if there are any further issues.

6 Likes

Hi Nielx.

Could you disable emoji shortcodes? It is extrmely annoying that I cannot write smileys at all, and to add insult to injury it also poyfills it with random images that aren’t my sytem emoji font :frowning: (wanted to write : ( )

Thank you for great work… Discord is sweet.

Do you know if these can be bridged easily?

Ahoy @zblace,

Well . you may mixed up something while reading about this upgrade …

it’s not Discord … but Discourse – I mean, the forum engine.

1 Like

It was typo I meant Discourse…do not care for Discord much myself.

Is it possible to bridge IRC and Discourse?

Hopefully someone, who knows the right answer, can reply to you - not me myself :slight_smile:

There is a plugin to bridge with Matrix:

I don’t have any experience with it, but maybe it would help. As I understand there ready is a matrix chat for Haiku that is bridged with the main IRC chat.

Why would yo do that? IRC is meant for very short messages (1 line or so), anonymous accounts (anyone can connect with any currently unused nickname), and not very organized discussions (everything is in the same “channel” pretty much).

The forum here is for longer posts, neatly sorted by categories and topics, messages can be edited, we can have pictures in addition to text, etc.

They are very different, and the bridging (trying to copy all text from IRC on the forum and all text on the forum to IRC) wouldn’t make sense. In fact, that’s the very reason we have these two separate channels of discussion: because they fill completely different needs. Bridging them would create an unpleasant user experience on both sides of the bridge, and make the resulting tool unable to fill any need at all?

So, we can keep the chat where it is, and the forum as it is :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why would yo do that? IRC is meant for very short messages (1 line or so), anonymous accounts (anyone can connect with any currently unused nickname), and not very organized discussions (everything is in the same “channel” pretty much).

The forum here is for longer posts, neatly sorted by categories and topics, messages can be edited, we can have pictures in addition to text, etc.

They are very different, and the bridging (trying to copy all text from IRC on the forum and all text on the forum to IRC) wouldn’t make sense. In fact, that’s the very reason we have these two separate channels of discussion: because they fill completely different needs. Bridging them would create an unpleasant user experience on both sides of the bridge, and make the resulting tool unable to fill any need at all?

So, we can keep the chat where it is, and the forum as it is :slight_smile:

@PulkoMandy It was only about Discourse’s chat feature, which is currently disabled on this forum. That is exactly meant for those short more or less real time communication.

Don’t know whether it makes sense to have it here. But if, it only makes sense if it gets integrated in some way.

I’m not sure whether this sneaked in with the Discourse upgrade or whether it was always there, but “About the Hardware category” has placeholder text on it. I’ve tried to log this through the link in the first post but it’s not sending my verification email so I can’t get in!

Edit: Tried it again today and it worked :slight_smile:

When I read it it looks like it puchs data to Matrix not the other way around.

" This plugin integrates Discourse and Discourse Chat with Matrix"