Focus and Marketing

I’ve always found the Sane Defaults aspect appealing, but maybe that’s a bit hard to convey as you only get to understand and appreciate it in practice (and after some time).

And?

Frankly speaking, I don’t like this pitch. No, really. I hate it.

It’s vague and doesn’t specifically talk to someone. Who is going to use it? What’s ecxactly means “personal computing” in 2018? Where are the strong points?

It seems to come from a book about software engineering, specifically the first line of “example of specs document” chapter.

Again, as we stated before, there’s nothing good to highlight what a product is not rather than what a product is. Expecially if the feature missing is somewhat the target users expect by default.

1 Like

by the way – you could help me here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since we’ve released a new beta, I think it could be interesting to revive this old threads and see if the visions shared by the users were preserved during these 18 months…and to listen to the ideas of the newcomers :slight_smile:

I’ve not changed mine: we should put more love into a modern marketing strategy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know if Haiku should be an embedded or end user system (whilst I tend to think that there’s really something to do in the embedded world, provided that and ARM port is available) but I wonder if one day Haiku could become a choice for countries/federations/compagnies that need a smaller OS, that they can easily audit (security main goal), and being almost Posix compliant

We’re seeing tensions everywhere, and who can afford having a custom tailored Linux distro nowaday ? It’s a daunting task even with money because Linux is an incredible bloated software.

Haiku is not (only) an alternative OS, it might become an alternative solution…

Edit : newcomer speaking :wink:

1 Like

Haiku is a no-brainer for people that miss the simplicity and user-friendliness of Classic Mac OS and seeking the power of Unix, but does not prefer macOS or cannot afford switching to the Apple ecosystem.

There are people who understand what Haiku is good at, but unfortunately most Linux people are not aware what they are missing. Some YouTubers, for instance like Lunduke does a good job conveying the message, but it’s sad that hardcore Linuxers still prefer the blue pill.

But still to be fair, Haiku still lacks some essential features to make it work viably on most hardware, like power management features or efficient multi-monitor handling to attract people. Web browser goes without saying.

Ofc I see your point…

But since we’re not going to have an hardware accelerated web browser and GPU tomorrow, we still need to find a focus point and a winning and clear use case to attract users.

1 Like

I think the focus should be how to make things work, before thinking of attracting users.

To attract users, we need a working system, that’s about it.

Haiku has a steady development pace, but the pace is a bit slow. With all the current limitations, and the ongoing development rate, an estimation of two years to R1 wouldn’t be too pessimistic. Heck, we don’t know what will be the hardware situation in two years, ARM is approaching.

A quick glance at the similar projects like KDE, Gnome, Linux kernel… they all have paid developers, or companies directly working on them. That way they can offer to support most new hardware, and user-facing components.

Haiku, Inc. needs to find the means to gather resources to employ full-time developers at a competitive rate.

Let’s iterate on some ideas…

Patreon… With some marketing, I don’t think it’s hard to find 200 patrons to give monthly $20 to Haiku platform (or more with less sum, roughly the same money or more).

Investors… Find multimedia companies, maybe by showcasing Tunetracker, show people how reliable Haiku is in multimedia branch, try to get them to invest in Haiku. There should be active search for this, not some static text on the website.

I would love to hear what members of Haiku, Inc. think all about this.

1 Like

What is acceleration doing here? We can make the web browser run stable and play videos as smoothly as MediaPlayer without acceleration. There is no reason for the web browser to be slower, it uses the same code.

3 Likes

Actually I think the real problem is not lack of fundings (although more is better, ofc), but lack of developers’ time.

Let’s say that the Melinda and Bill Gates Foundation are going to give Haiku Inc. some bucks, we would still have the same development pace, which is the effort the very few, very skilled Haiku devs could put into the project.

Those competitive bucks “may” persuade some of our skilled and experienced Haiku developers to quit their current jobs, and enable them work on Haiku full time.

Although i think that those guys could answer on their own, I personally wouldn’t. Making Haiku a full time job would probably make it…well…a job :smiley:

I did it for a year and it was great at the time. Personally, my conditions are simple: it should be as safe and long-term as my current job. Would happily accept a pay cut, but I want to keep a good healthcare policy (a bit more tricky than it should here) and things like that.

Everyone’s situation is different, of course, but what we can say is it won’t happen for sure if all there is available is 6 month or a year of contract. No one would leave a full-time job for that, I guess. I wouldn’t do it, and I’m probably one of the least constrained people here: I don’t have a family to take care of, I don’t have much bills to pay except the rent for my flat, and so on.

The current model is going almost exclusively through GSoC or similar, because it works well as a summer job for students (and in the case of GSoC conveniently because Google pays for it).

1 Like