Failed to load OS. Press any key to reboot

I’ve gotten this on two different builds, that from yesterday and that from today after svn update.
I looked at the boot code and the message is coming from haiku. (I originally thought it was coming from the bios).

Also, I get "failed to create the index BEOS:APP_SIG: Invalid argument" on stderr towards the end of the compile, though the build appears to succeed:

BuildHaikuImage1 install-haiku
Populating image …
Deleting old MIME database …
Installing MIME database …
…updated 6499 target(s)…

command line was ‘jam -q install-haiku’ and $HAIKU_INSTALL_DIR is set to /Haiku, which is a Be partition on hdb1, and which previously successfully hosted haiku. I also tried (yesterday) creating an image and dd’ing it to the partition, with the same results.

I would appreciate some help, if someone can give me some insight, or post a hex dump of a good boot sector so I can compare. Thanks.

‘The Prince of Strange Problems’

gps wrote:
I've gotten this on two different builds, that from yesterday and that from today after svn update. I looked at the boot code and the message is coming from haiku. (I originally thought it was coming from the bios).

Is it by any chance SATA? Just curious - doesn’t sound like it if it was working before.

Quote:
Also, I get "failed to create the index BEOS:APP_SIG: Invalid argument" on stderr towards the end of the compile, though the build appears to succeed:

I think this is normal - I think i read somewhere that it’s just attempting to re-create the index when it already exists. Might only happen on an install-haiku build.

Quote:
BuildHaikuImage1 install-haiku Populating image ... Deleting old MIME database ... Installing MIME database ... ...updated 6499 target(s)...

command line was ‘jam -q install-haiku’ and $HAIKU_INSTALL_DIR is set to /Haiku, which is a Be partition on hdb1, and which previously successfully hosted haiku. I also tried (yesterday) creating an image and dd’ing it to the partition, with the same results.

I would appreciate some help, if someone can give me some insight, or post a hex dump of a good boot sector so I can compare. Thanks.

‘The Prince of Strange Problems’

I’ve had a problem like this before - I found that in my case, my Haiku BFS partition was so bad that even a reformat using DriveSetup wouldn’t fix it for me. I ended up reformatting the partition as dos-FAT and then back to BFS which miraculously cured my problems :slight_smile:

Let me know if that works - as I have never had to perform that "fix" since then and I was hoping it was some strange fluke.

Quote:
Is it by any chance SATA? Just curious - doesn't sound like it if it was working before.

No, it’s IDE.

Quote:
I've had a problem like this before - I found that in my case, my Haiku BFS partition was so bad that even a reformat using DriveSetup wouldn't fix it for me. I ended up reformatting the partition as dos-FAT and then back to BFS which miraculously cured my problems :)

I’ll give this a try. I had reformatted earlier as BFS. I’ll try the Dos then BFS trick today.

I did make a mistake when I was trying to get it to work. I installed on another partition, which I without thinking named Haiku. So I had two volumes named Haiku. When I did the install-haiku it installed to the master when I was expecting it to install to the slave. I completely overlooked the two ‘Haiku’ icons sitting on the desktop. I renamed one 'Haiku_2, and the version installed on the master does work, although a little less than half the time I get a kernel panic (unhandled page fault; does anyone want to know about this? I expect it, since this is alpha). The one installed on the slave still gives me the OS error.

The good news is, the network works. I haven’t done anything more than ping the gateway, but hey, it works.

Thanks

Just a note to say that reformatting did not solve the problem. So now I have a drive (or rather, a partition) that previously booted and ran Haiku, and now doesn’t. Not even the image that originally ran. Weird.

gps wrote:
Just a note to say that reformatting did not solve the problem. So now I have a drive (or rather, a partition) that previously booted and ran Haiku, and now doesn't. Not even the image that originally ran. Weird.

Possibly the boot sector got trashed?

I didn’t think about that. The format won’t touch the boot sector. Any way, I over wrote the boot sector with random data (dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hdb1 bs=512 count=1) several times and then rewrote the image.
Still won’t boot.
I’ve also compared the boot sectors from the working and non-working Haiku installations. They’re identical.
Weird.