Expand -o- Matic

Hi I don’t know if this is the place but any way :slight_smile:

Expand -o- Matic does not open in a new window if i’m Expanding a file. It replaces the source and Destination info in the existing window but nothing else.

//Fredrik Modéen

ModeenF wrote:
Hi I don't know if this is the place but any way :)

Expand -o- Matic does not open in a new window if i’m Expanding a file. It replaces the source and Destination info in the existing window but nothing else.

//Fredrik Modéen

Jerome Duval (korli) is the man to let know - he wrote the Expandomatic replacement, and when I reported a bug in it he fixed it within minutes of reporting it, literally.

ModeenF wrote:

//Fredrik Modéen

This is the current behavior. I think it isn’t very useful to have a new window for each opened file.
We could also mimic R5 Expander, and have this behavior configurable.

Jérôme

Korli wrote:
ModeenF wrote:

//Fredrik Modéen

This is the current behavior. I think it isn’t very useful to have a new window for each opened file.

Jérôme

ok but if i would like to extract 2 files at the same time?
then it’s better to not changes the ongoing window until it finished?
first time I used this extractor I did like I usualy do in R5/Zeta and was confuced that the extraction did stop (until i noticed that the window did change but the button was still in “stop” mode).

Korli wrote:
ModeenF wrote:

//Fredrik Modéen

I think the default behaviour should be opening a second window if you double click a package while expanding another; in other words, you should be able to expand two or more files at the same time.

Koki

Quote:
I think the default behaviour should be opening a second window if you double click a package while expanding another; in other words, you should be able to expand two or more files at the same time.

Koki

Understood, when already expanding or listing, a new window should be used (also for dropped archives).

Korli wrote:
Quote:

Koki

Understood, when already expanding or listing, a new window should be used (also for dropped archives).

Yes, that is what I meant. However, I did not think about dropped files.

I tend to think that when you drop a file, you are targetting a specific instance of a program. This makes me think that the intent of the user is to open the dropped file in the open window, and not in a new window. I believe this is particularly true when the running instance of the expander is not expanding (ie., when open without a file, or when listing).

Maybe you need to behaviours, depending on status of the running instance of the expander?

1. If only listing or sitting idle with no file open, then open dropped file in same window.
  2. If expanding, open dropped files in separate window or display a dialog asking the user what to do (ie., show “stop expanding %f1 and open %f2?” message with “Stop & open” and “Open in New Window” buttons).

But maybe this is becoming too complex now…

koki wrote:
Quote:
I did not think about dropped files.

What do you men by that? droping the file in a tracker window or in the expander?

BTW (think thats the “word”)
One file one object? 2 files 2 objects?
if one file Finished then use the first object?

koki wrote:
But maybe this is becoming too complex now...

I tend to agree complexity is bad. One of the things about BeOS that I like a lot is that it seems very predictable - I don’t think there are too many conditional decisions going on under the hood.

Saying that, I don’t know the current behaviour. And my computer has gone home without me for a couple of weeks so I can’t check it now.

However, here is what I would suggest:
-The textboxes are the only drop targets on the expander window. You can drop a folder to the destination one and have it filled in, and drop an archive to the source one and have the path filled in. Dropping anywhere else has no effect. This needs to be reinforced with visual clues (make the border around the text box blue or something on mouseover with a valid item).
-When expanding or listing, the text boxes are disabled anyway, to make it clear that dropping a file will have no effect.

I can’t see why we should support dropping a file anywhere on the window to open a new one - I mean, isn’t double-clicking much simpler in all situations? The only reason I can see dropping being useful is when you already have the destination path you want in place - the just drop a new archive to the source text box.

Simon

ModeenF wrote:
koki wrote:
Quote:
I did not think about dropped files.

What do you men by that? droping the file in a tracker window or in the expander?

On expander.

ModeenF wrote:
BTW (think thats the "word") One file one object? 2 files 2 objects? if one file Finished then use the first object?

Yes, when it comes to drag and dropping files, because it does show the intent on the user to use a particular target application window.

When a user double click, you do not know whether the user wants to open a second instance of the app, or if he is happy with using the currently open instance.

Koki

koki wrote:
When a user double click, you do not know whether the user wants to open a second instance of the app, or if he is happy with using the currently open instance.

true. How about a popup asking what I would like to do and if you do know how you would like the expander to behave a option in settings.

I do miss one future from windows.the option to right drag and choose expand in that folder.