[Executable] Tracker -- 'Thumbnails' view of videofiles in folders - started to evolving (hint : post #21, #23 and #24)

Now I have no videofile on my PC, that I created.

This way if I would share any that can be problematic, ne c’est pas ?

As I’m an adult person, I just selected a folder with bunch of files, and shared the results of my tests. :sunglasses:

I tried to keep censored, but someone with enough curiosity
could check it in full size

or magnify it longer :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT : quickly replaced them, after I found Blur tool in Wonderbrush.

I agree with this and have slightly modified my Tracker to allow larger thumbnails and also to auto-arrange the icons on window resize etc (but I have not solved the realignment of the scrollbars for this case, so I just scroll to the top on resize). Also, for Video thumbnails, using ffmpeg is enough and can even add text and other effects within the screenshot. I use it for the title/filename and video duration.

This is how my image and video folders look at the moment:

17 Likes

It looks nice - you are lucky xou can develop such things …
… even if you are not satisfied withh all things in this resolution actually.
You can complete it with time - if you continue the modification.

It may worth to share as a patch to Tracker if you think it’s completed.

3 Likes

These changes look interesting!

There might be some tweaks or modifications needed before we could merge them, but they look useful to me at least.

8 Likes

Adding larger icon sizes basically “just works”, but we currently store smaller sized thumbnails for images and we don’t want to let those take too much space either… So possibly regenerate those once larger sized icons is chosen first time for a folder… Need some more thinking.

Auto arrange would be a nice option to have, I will try to finalize this and submit the proposed changes. Thanks for the encouragement.

6 Likes

Indeed, the ffmpeg cmd can do all that, no need for ffmpegthumbnailer, i’m using a Qt filemanager which uses ffmpeg under the hood for video thumbs and they have duration.

2 Likes

Ahoy @Jim ,

Thanks for thinking about it -

Unfortunately the scripts I got from Lrrr creates and replaces with default VHS casette icons - but until folder not closed.
When I re-open folder with videofiles - those simple
default icons used - again. If the folder is closed on GUI - then even do not appear that way if I executed the scripts.

~> find /BFS_DL/DL/ -name *.mp4 | xargs -I {} ./thumbnailer.sh {}
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x10d10aae6fc0] stream 0, timescale not set
~> ls *.sh
create_video_thumbnails.sh  thumbnailer.sh
~>  find /BFS_DL/DL/ -name *.mp4 | xargs -I {} ./create_video_thumbnails.sh {}
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x11bd3b891fc0] stream 0, timescale not set
~> 

Executes on them, but thumbnail icons seen only when folder is open in Tracker before executed the script :(…

After the folder closed and re-opened - it vanishes, so not saved in an attribute, it seems.

While I did not create the script, the “addattr” part that is adding the thumbnails should work, as long as the files are on a BFS filesystem and the video files are not marked as executable (both the Media:Thumbnail attribute and permissions can be checked in Trackers “File Info”).

Dear @Jim ,

Could you take some time on improving/testing/finalizing
that Tracker "Thumbnail’ or rather ‘Dia / Album’ mode view enhancement
you showed us a version above as you have been in your Haiku ?

Besides your solution , the classic Icon view also can be enhanced ,

I think , alignement in icon view could be solved

→ autohide / shorter the long file names
→ as hover above mouse cursor or step with arrow keys from one icon to another - that would reveael them -

1. would magnify the current icon to 96x96
    just as when you move the cursor above a flying launcher and the icon under the cursor becomes bigger
  2. and
    as in list view, the long file name would appear next to the icon , even as a quick tip, not below -
  3. only for rename it needs some additional button or some other solution to select it to modify, but right click on icon still available anyway.
    Otherwise we just read the file name on GUI.
1 Like