EFI-Enabled (!) R1/beta1 Testing Images: Almost-RC

Newbie to Haiku here. I have a question: How do I update this to the final build? Will it be seamless?

I remember being able to just manually install over the top nightly images before. I’m sure that remains possible, but can this update to Final within the OS? Maybe automatically? What about future releases?

Thanks, and sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

You can update your OS to the latest version using SoftwareUpdater.

1 Like

Hi. I’m using an old beta candidate (hrev52295-11-gf17c7cddb7 (from August 30)).

However, when update (or doing a full-sync), never tries to update to the new beta candidate (hrev52295-66-gbe117bfaa0).

I’m using the /r1beta1/x86_gcc2/current url in the Repo configuration.

Hi @un_spacyar!

From the topic starter:

I can imagine that maintaining EFI code could prove to be somewhat challenging using the GCC2 toolchain (as used in the x86 version).

I’m kind of new to Haiku; I don’t know whether there’s an upgrade path without reinstalling Haiku using a x86_64 anyboot nightly image.

Hope this helps!

There is and has been for a long time, please read the user manual. @un_spacyar seems to have this configured properly.

It looks like the beta1 repos never got updated; the buildbot hasn’t been doing some builds automatically and we’ve had to kick it ourselves. I just did that; so hopefully -66+ will appear within an hour or so in the repos.

1 Like

Hi @waddlesplash!

Thanks - both for your work, as well as for the correction.

I guess I was thrown off by:

That goes to show I should run more instances of Haiku :slight_smile:

@un_spacyar:
I’m quite eager to find out as well whether Haiku will boot successfully with UEFI-only firmware. I’ve only got one piece of hardware, and it has no (functional) legacy mode.

@waddlesplash: thank you!!!

@noaccount: don’t worry. In this machine (a 10 years old laptop), no UEFI support is needed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gpd win running EFI USB. Note that it loaded the VESA driver dispite being an intel chipset, and the device uses a tablet screen which you have to set to rotated otherwise it’s sideways, don’t know how to fix that on Haiku:
20180922_19183120180922_191911

Wifi doesn’t work out of the box its Broadcom 4356 will try to build my own image with preinstalled wifi firmware and see how that goes.
touchscreen doesn’t work.
Mouse stick works as it emulates a USB mouse or an XBox or Joystick controller selectable by the switch in the middle of the device.
Keyboard works fine.
Didnt’ test sound.

Ticket for screen rotation support here I didn’t see an existing ticket for it: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/14510

1 Like

We don’t have any drivers for 4356, so that’s pointless to even try.

I didn’t try very hard… heh. I wasn’t sure what wifi it had… in any case I don’t think it is swapable.

I supposed I could put haiku on an SD card, and use my ASIX USB ethernet … but it would be a bit silly. Especially with the screen sideways.

Great! Beta is work fine with vesa :smiley: But I have a new problem network don’t work, and USB3 too :frowning:
I’am wait for newest version of beta.

Instead of waiting miracle to happen, you should report the problems on dev.haiku-os.org if you haven’t did yet.

1 Like