Downloading wifi firmware blobs, again

I’m reading the guide at
https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/workshop-wlan.html

as my home pc doesn’t have any internet connections, I downloaded the zip archive on a different machine, then extracted the zip under /boot
Now, when launching ‘install-wifi-firmwares.sh’ the script complaints many times 'cause the current file system is read-only. How can this be? I just extracted a zip file into /boot
[finally, it fails due to some path mismatch, but for the firmwares it can find the read-only error actually appears unexpected]
Any ideas?

Only a few quite old chipsets (Intel 2100/2200/2225/2915, Broadcom 43xx, Marvell 88w8335) require binary firmware modules that Haiku cannot include due to licensing issues, though.

Do you have such an old chip?

Oh! Fool that I am, lspci (under linux) says the chip is a Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe

Doesn’t look like it’s supported: Realtek Semiconductor RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter

Oh that is sad, i have that chip too :cactus: :face_exhaling: :sleepy: :roll_eyes: :cold_sweat: :sob:

OpenBSD manual pages

Seems like it is supported on the openbsd

rtw(4) Realtek RTL8180L IEEE 802.11b wireless network device
rtwn(4) Realtek RTL8188CE/RTL8188EE/RTL8192CE/RTL8723AE PCIe IEEE 802.11b/g/n wireless network device

Somewhat related: I noticed recently that the install WiFi firmware script doesn’t seem to actually install the bcm firmware, the package just contains a broken symlink IIRC. Been meaning to raise a ticket…

3 Likes