Does Haiku discriminate based on political assumptions?

Things that I agree with. There are of course internal politics within Haiku community that sometimes bubble through. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I think that might be the sort of politics that were meant when web forums first started drafting their constitutions.

The problem is that even if Haiku - rightly - has no wider interest in what might be called ā€œbig politicsā€, it seems that big politics has an interest in our Haiku. Is it enough any more to say that we ā€œdonā€™t do politicsā€ when our democracy is being eroded?

I think we can robustly uphold our principles and values whilst being safe space for everybody. In fact I think this muscularity is is a prerequisite to being a sufficiently inviolable safe space. I think I have been in the community enough to know roughly what they are, but are Haikuā€™s principles and values actually articulated anywhere?

4 Likes

Seconded.

The apple of discord has been thrown, and that didnĀ“t end well for Troy.

Posts are just repeating the same things, the we already know and agree ( that the Haiku forum is the place for code, not politics ) . Maibe it would be better if we just move on to things more productive ? ( like bug-hunting ? )

1 Like

That is not what we do. Our policy says that this forum is not the right place to talk about politics. The reason for this is simply that these discussions get heated very quickly, with dozen of people wanting to share their opinions, and this results in a lot of work for the moderators, with a lot of time spent on our side as well, arguing on wether something is acceptable or not.

Also, the second rule of our policies (right after ā€œavoid talking about politicsā€) is precisely about making the community a safe space for everyone (ā€œregardless of their age, gender, ethnicity, etc.ā€). It is in second place only because we were forced to put them in some order, it could very well have been first.

As a reminder, here are the policies: Policies | Haiku Project (already linked earlier). I think it states only the most basic and obvious things (you know, from the universal declaration of human rights, that should be accepted by everyone), but, sadly, even such basic principles are in question in some countries or for some people :frowning:

From the Haiku project or Haiku inc, there will be nothing more than this policy document. For anything else, you can ask some developers, contributors and community members (privately, or in some other places where talking politics is welcome) about what they think. We each have our individual opinions and we donā€™t necessarily need to agree on everything, or even on enough to publish a general statement. Especially as, you know, we have an operating system to write here!

12 Likes

The short answer- No.
The long answer- No.
There are people here of all political persuasions and all are welcome to discuss Haiku here. Politics should only enter the discussion when it refers to tech laws, online rights or things directly related to OS development

1 Like

See: Policies | Haiku Project (haiku-os.org)

ā€œUsers are to refrain from delving into discussions about religion, politics, and other similar subjects. Try to stick to vi vs. emacs for off-topic funā€¦ā€

Nothing stated anywhere that goes against any journalistic work effort or person(s).

The policy statement mentioned only requests that ā€œone stops oneselfā€ from conducive negative behaviors and statements.

Now, about Haiku governance (aka governing entity) and ā€œthe foundersā€ā€¦

See: About Haiku, Inc. - Haiku, Inc. (haiku-inc.org)

• Who is Haiku, Inc.?
    • Several trusted long-term contributors are currently managing the tasks for Haiku, Inc.
  • Current Board Members
    • Board of Directors
2 Likes

Indeed. Everything has been said that needed to be said. Nice to have our policy page linked to remind people we have such a thing, and itā€™s worth reading and acting accordingly.

11 Likes