Do you have a dream keyboard layout?

Or if you are used to type numbers in it.

When programming, if necessary to type a lot of numbers ( for constants, arrays, whatever ) I end up using it. Find it easier than using the upper row of numbers.

I believe it most relates to what works best for someone. I need to replace one of my keyboards ( poor thing almost 30 yrs ) , and find those that I have here put the arrow keys and numpad a little more cramped than the old keyboard. Not a show stopper, but inconveniences a little, since the hand needs to travel with a little more precision.

1 Like

Initially I just wanted to make the spacebar row more usable, then it ballooned into wanting to make other improvements (including just about everything others have mentioned in this topic).
I’m pretty sure I came across your design at some point and drew some inspiration from it. Xah Lee’s extensive writings (which you referenced on your keyboard site) provided a wealth of ideas and information.
I also thought the Truly Ergonomic keyboard was pretty close to what I was after.
Ultimately I decided on the pseudo-ergonomic grid design I posted to bring in and balance hard-to-reach keys.

My other experiments with keyboards (staggered keys mostly, some of them very compact):

For used legends and etc reference:
ISO keyboard standard

1 Like

One thing that needs to make a comeback are stepped keys. It is so annoying activating Caps Lock because you hit the a-key on the left edge. That is the biggest drawback of the Apple Extended Keyboard that I type this on; it has no stepped keys like the IBM Model M has.

I agree.
I used raised keys in the center column (where I placed Caps Lock) and on some corner keys (represented by the lighter background). For the navigation clusters at the bottom I decided on lowered keys so that Ctrl could be pressed with the thumbs without hitting the nav keys by mistake.
Also, I saw you mention the “compose” key somewhere. I wanted to add one but couldn’t find it in the USB-HID specification. But the specification does have Compose and Kana LED’s, so I added the lower left LED for that purpose.

The Compose key is not included in the specification of modern keyboards. Compose is purely an some operating system some app input trick.

True, but I wish a “compose” scancode would be formally added to the HID usage table, even if it’s ignored by some systems. An OS or application that does support it could then interpret subsequent keystrokes however it wants to perform the composition, and then tell the keyboard to turn off the compose status LED when it has exited compose mode. Even though I live in the US I would prefer this over the currently available methods in the rare instances I need diacritical markings.