Did not find any boot partitions

Use IPM is preferable, as it ensures the operation of two bios modes.

Not to mention, the EFI partition needs to be created at the start of the disk…

That’s just plain wrong, you can use GPT with bios booting, and I’m fairly sure the haiku image does exactly that.

If you as a user wish to use bios booting it certainly is easier with an intel partition map, but it is not required.

It does not. The haiku installer image actually has it as the second partition.
The requirements are:

• The correct gpt guid
  • formatted as fat32 for a pc or fat16 for a usb drive (those are the only two options required by the spec, in practice fat32 on thumb drives works fine too)

Please read again what pulkomandy wrote above and don’t go into speculation.

I don’t have much to offer as advice on the issue with the logs myself sadly.

1 Like

I don’t think I was speculating, as the UEFI boot instructions clearly state the following…

• Choose a GPT disk system on the target device.
  • Create a small (64 MiB is generally enough) partition at the start of the disk.
    • “EFI system data” type.
    • Format as FAT32, label “EFIBOOT”
  • Create a Haiku partition (generally > 8 GiB is a good size)
    • Format as BeFS, label “Haiku”

I have been using a Haiku on various devices since 2008. During this time, all my attempts to apply GPT were unsuccessful.
Someone was able to load the Нaiku from the external USB disk using GPT on it ??

Yes, the instructions are correct. It is much easier to say
“create a partition of size X at the start and allocate the rest to partition 2 for befs”
Than it is to say
“create a befs partition at the start with the disk minus size x, then create a partition with size x”
However, that has nothing to do with the efi specification and what is actually required to boot an efi system, I have listed the requirements above.
Your statement of it needing to be created first is incorrect, the documentation only recommends this for simplicity, it has no impact on the actual boot process.
(It makes perfect sense too for usecases like live resizing the befs partition, which will become a problem for the live/installer usb where the ESP is now the second partition, not the first)

In addition to that pulkomandy already pointed out that the error is not related to the bootloader or the partition layout etc.

(The labels in the instructions too are irrelevant to the working of this setup, it will boot just fine if you label the esp chicken and the befs partition pork.)

@kim1963 GPT works just fine for severall people using Haiku with EFI boot, including me. the instructions would not direct you to use GPT if it was known to not work.

1 Like

External USB disk ??
You can show a screenshot DriveSetup GPT usb disk ?
It seems to me that it is more profitable to have an external disk that can work in two modes of BIOS.

Okay, so apparently I’m too chatty as a new user and I wasn’t able to respond. :slight_smile:

Not knowing how to proceed, I considered looking at the code. I think The Haiku BootLoader code is in the src/system/boot folder of the source tree. Unfortunately, the instructions for compiling Haiku are also not up-to-date, so I’m not sure how to get started. The instructions mention a ‘build tools’ folder that does not exist. Since the instructions for getting the “jam” build tool aren’t right, I can’t get very far.

I’m willing to spend some time trying to get this figured out, but I’ll need some pointers to get started.

@PulkoMandy, I’m not sure if you saw that I edited a response above to include more details from the syslog, (It was the only way I could add information to this thread while I was blocked from responding.)
Please let me know if there is anything else that I should check for.

Oh, and if there are up-to-date build instructions, please point me to them. The pages I’ve found so far all refer to folders that don’t exist in the source tree.

The buildtools are in a seperate repository, the getting source Site asks you to clone it next to the haiku git repo.

git clone https://review.haiku-os.org/buildtools

(the … in unix terminology means “the folder above this one”)

Fuck this forum software, I wrote TWO dots, not three. I hate markdown, it makes it impossible to write normally for convenience

(Yes, I am aware of backtick, it doesn’t help since it is not available on my iOS keyboard, and the text vomposer does so much fancy js stuff that native text editing breaks and it costs huge effort to copy it)

In some version of the bootloader (not sure if we did this for EFI or only for BIOS), it’s possible to save the boot log to a FAT32 formatted USB drive. Another option is using a serial port if your machine has one (but this is very uncommon on modern hardware). Otherwise, indeed there is only taking pictures of the display, which is not very fun, but that’s often the case with low-level problems :frowning:

I don’t understand why you want to look at the bootloader. We have already established that you are way past the bootloader when you hit a problem here. The bootloader hands control over to the kernel before the icons on the bootscreen start to light up, and you land in the kernel debugger in the end, which means the kernel is already running.

So, I don’t think you will find anything in the bootloader sourcecode.

Without a complete syslog I will not attempt any guess at what part of the kernel or userspace is getting confused.

2 Likes

Please check if you can share which correctly and exact system you’re using, see Lenovo Thinkpad P1 Gen 3 (All) Computers

@swp, I think you mentioned that you can boot from the initial usb drive, then install Haiku to your other ( external ) ssd drive.

Can you test with writing the Haiku ISO to this external drive, and try booting from it ?

@korli Go figure, my model number is not in that list: ThinkPad P1 Gen 3 20TJS07200
It has 16GB RAM, Intel i7-10750H CPU @ 2.6 GHz

Yes, Writing the Haiku ISO to the external SSD results in a bootable device. Interesting!
But of course the partitions are such that most of the device isn’t used, and the EFI partition is in the way of enlarging the Haiku partition.

Don´t worry about the partitions not using the space. The test was just to see if all was right with haiku support to the kind of ssd and adapter you are using.

Like others said, you will need to somehow get a full syslog, so that people can help you debug that issue.

1 Like

New information. The ISO on the external SSD worked only because I had it plugged in to a different port after fiddling around. It was plugged in to a USB-A port when it worked. It is failing the same way when plugged in to a USB-C port.
Normally the drive was plugged in to USB-C because I had just finished installing from the ISO that was on the flash drive plugged in to the USB-A port.

So, after installing, I moved the drive to a USB-A port and it boots up fine. The issue is with booting from a USB-C connected SSD, or as mentioned elsewhere, something to do with a USB hub… Of course I want to use USB-C for the improved speed.

1 Like

Well, now we are making progress. Maybe in the full syslog there are messages that point to the problem.

1 Like

Okay, that’s not it either… I just installed some packages which required a reboot, and it failed with the same error even though I never unplugged the drive, so it was in the same USB-A port that had just worked.
The only differences is that I let it boot without hitting F12 to explicitly pick the boot drive. The system is configured to give USB boot priority anyway. But then, being forced to power-cycle because the kernel debugger “reboot” command doesn’t work, I missed hitting F12 in time and it booted successfully anyway…
But the keyboard and trackpad don’t work!

So now I don’t know what the hell it’s doing, but I can sometimes boot. I think there are USB issues, as that would explain why the keyboard and trackpad aren’t working this time around.

In Terminal -
listdev
listusb
listimage
ifconfig
Hardware info?

listdev

device Bridge (Host bridge) [6|0|0]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 9b54: 10th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers

device Bridge (PCI bridge, Normal decode) [6|4|0]
  device 1901: 6th-10th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (x16)

device Display controller (VGA compatible controller, VGA controller) [3|0|0]
  vendor 10de: NVIDIA Corporation
  device 1fb9: TU117GLM [Quadro T1000 Mobile]

device Multimedia controller (Audio device) [4|3|0]
  vendor 10de: NVIDIA Corporation
  device 10fa: Unknown

device Display controller (VGA compatible controller, VGA controller) [3|0|0]
  device 9bc4: CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics]

device Signal processing controller [11|80|0]
  device 1903: Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Thermal Subsystem

device Generic system peripheral [8|80|0]
  device 1911: Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th/8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model

device Signal processing controller [11|80|0]
  device 06f9: Comet Lake PCH Thermal Controller

device Serial bus controller (USB controller, XHCI) [c|3|30]
  device 06ed: Comet Lake USB 3.1 xHCI Host Controller

device Memory controller (RAM memory) [5|0|0]
  device 06ef: Comet Lake PCH Shared SRAM

device Network controller [2|80|0]
  device 06f0: Comet Lake PCH CNVi WiFi

device Communication controller [7|80|0]
  device 06e0: Comet Lake HECI Controller

device 06b8: Unknown

device 15ea: JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge [Titan Ridge 4C 2018]

device Generic system peripheral [8|80|0]
  device 15eb: JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 NHI [Titan Ridge 4C 2018]

device Serial bus controller (USB controller, XHCI) [c|3|30]
  device 15ec: JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 USB Controller [Titan Ridge 4C 2018]

device 06bf: Unknown

device (Unknown) (255:0:0) [ff|0|0]
  vendor 10ec: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
  device 525a: RTS525A PCI Express Card Reader

device 06b0: Comet Lake PCI Express Root Port #9

device Mass storage controller (Non-Volatile memory controller, NVM Ex [1|8|2]
  vendor 144d: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd
  device a808: NVMe SSD Controller SM981/PM981/PM983

device Bridge (ISA bridge) [6|1|0]
  device 068e: Unknown

device Multimedia controller (Multimedia audio controller) [4|1|0]
  device 06c8: Comet Lake PCH cAVS

device Serial bus controller (SMBus) [c|5|0]
  device 06a3: Comet Lake PCH SMBus Controller

device Serial bus controller [c|80|0]
  device 06a4: Comet Lake PCH SPI Controller

device Unclassified device (Non-VGA unclassified device) [0|0|0]
     vendor 0000: Unknown
     device 0000: Unknown

listtusb

8087:0026 /dev/bus/usb/0/13 "Intel Corp." "AX201 Bluetooth" ver. 0002
0bda:9210 /dev/bus/usb/0/21 "Realtek Semiconductor Corp." "RTL9210 M.2 NVME Adapter" ver. 2001
04f2:b6cb /dev/bus/usb/0/7 "Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd" "Integrated Camera" ver. 5918
06cb:00bd /dev/bus/usb/0/8 "Synaptics, Inc." "Prometheus MIS Touch Fingerprint Reader" ver. 0000
0000:0000 /dev/bus/usb/0/hub "HAIKU Inc." "XHCI RootHub" ver. 0300
0000:0000 /dev/bus/usb/1/hub "HAIKU Inc." "XHCI RootHub" ver. 0300

ifconfig

loop    Hardware type: Local Loopback, Address: none
        inet addr: 127.0.0.1, Mask: 255.0.0.0
        inet6 addr: ::1, Prefix Length: 128
        MTU: 16384, Metric: 0, up loopback link
        Receive: 0 packets, 0 errors, 0 bytes, 0 mcasts, 0 dropped
        Transmit: 0 packets, 0 errors, 0 bytes, 0 mcasts, 0 dropped
        Collisions: 0

/dev/net/iaxwifi200/0
        Hardware type: Ethernet, Address: 78:2b:46:39:b1:b0
        Media type: 802.11n(g)
        Network: Phobos, Address: 74:b6:b6:66:97:c5, WPA2, PSK/CCMP
        inet addr: 192.168.4.48, Bcast: 192.168.7.255, Mask: 255.255.252.0
        MTU: 2294, Metric: 0, up broadcast link auto-configured
        Receive: 1428126 packets, 0 errors, 1994931196 bytes, 0 mcasts, 0 dropped
        Transmit: 894498 packets, 0 errors, 59747807 bytes, 0 mcasts, 0 dropped
        Collisions: 0

listimage output was too large to include… (I will try again after rebooting… too much loaded right now)

Hardware model already mentioned above.

1 Like