Deskbar needs a "New Window" button when clicking on app icon

It would be really useful with Tracker - if user wants to quickly open default directory in Tracker (could be Home for example) they could click on Tracker icon which is always there and then choose the “New Window” option.

1 Like

You mean right click on a icon and then choose “open directory”? This would be fine indeed :-).

He probably means Tracker entry in the Deskbar - and I agree that it would be really great from the usability standpoint.
I can’t even count how many times I had to minimize all windows just to get a Tracker window open.
I’ve now realized that there is Recently opened directories in Deskbar menu, that can serve that purpose, but it’s far from intuitive.

1 Like

So, what we actually want is to allow applications to add their own specific commands to the menu of their “running app list” entry in the Deskbar. I can imagine that would be useful, but personally I haven’t missed it yet…

I suspect the changes to Deskbar an the API (how do apps register their commands?) are substantial enough to make it a post-R1 enhancement.

Until then you can:

• change quickly to another less crowded workspace (CTRL+ALT+Cursor) to get access to your Home folder.

• click on “Edit in Tracker” in the Deskbar preferences and add a link to /boot/home/config/settings/Tracker/Go. Rename it to “_Favorites” to sort it to the top. Now you have the “Favorites” that are also available from every file dialog at your fingertips.

I thought I’ve filed an enhancement ticket for that second bullet already, but I haven’t… now it’s ticket #13482.

I see that I explained it so badly, that everyone understood it in different way lol. I meant adding equivalent of the option available in Windows 7 and above which I showed on the following screenshot:

When you press this button Windows opens another instance of the app.
In Haiku it could look like this:

It would work with every app which allow to open multiple instances just like in Windows.

I think it is posible to change entry "No windows” by Trackers icon with no windows in Deskbar with “New window” (or add additional entry “(Open) Home”) which opens “Home” (or root, or desktop, optionaly).