Could we port Eclipse IDE to Haiku?

I’m just started to learn programming and I will learn Java so I can’t help with this low level stuff. I think we need to port swt.jar first, the rest will be easy. Unlike other software wanted to be more cross platform, Eclipse itself now seemed to only focus on Windows and Linux (64 bit only). They no longer package a swt version for Solaris anymore. The Eclipse on FreeBSD/DFBSD port is just an unofficial version. Other BSDs stuck with ancient Eclipse version (3.x). The Illumos based OSes don’t have anything at all. So it’s strange when I asked you to port such software to Haiku. I know it, but Eclipse is, IMHO, just easier to use and learn than Netbeans. I know we can already run the latest version of Netbeans on Haiku but I admit I have never liked Netbeans and many people agreed with me about that. Porting Eclipse to Haiku will attract more Java developers to Haiku. Eclipse also has CDT to develop C/C++, too. It will be another choice for IDE on Haiku.

What do you think about it?

1 Like

You are correct, SWT needs to be ported first. It involves a lot of native C code (on Linux it uses GTK, on Windows it uses one of the native Windows APIs). Nothing impossible, but certainly a lot of work, and there are very few apps using SWT, so essentially it would be a lot of work for just one application, which is probably why no one really looked into it yet.

Someone ported GTK3.

https://discuss.haiku-os.org/t/ported-gtk3-live/7687

Could we reuse the SWT’s GTK backend on Haiku?

There are many SWT based software, most of them also Eclipse Platform based. Eclipse is not only an Java IDE but also utilized by other to be a platform for many applications. Please have a look at:

So, IMHO, Eclipse is a big plus for the Haiku ecosystem.

1 Like

The top portable Editor / IDE is quickly becoming Visual Studio Code.

.Net Core would be the single-most important port.

Those would be huge editions by comparison to Eclipse.

1 Like

I’m not a programmer but just going to take a Java online course so I don’t know about that. I only know the web course also uses VSCode as the editor.

but vscode uses electron which uses chrome and here we go again…

So my request to port Eclipse is still more reasonable :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, i use visual studio code too (i make web based code). It is one of the best ides that I have used. But its clear, to have it you have to carry chromium first.

So after all the porting effort will be much more than just porting Eclipse. I myself would prefer the Firefox web browser ported. May be we would not need to port the full Firefox. Just it Web Engine and JS Engine to use them with our Web+ to increase Web+'s standard conformant.

WebPositive uses the WebKit engine from Safari. That engine works fine and is quite standard conformant. It was a lot of work to bring it where it is now, maybe 90% of the work is done. But people keep suggesting that instead of doing the last 10%, we should throw it away and restart with Firefox or Chrome. I think that would be a waste of time.

8 Likes

Please pardon my ignorant. I don’t know that Web+ and Otter using the same engine. Otter just looks more modern to me. I also used to think Otter uses QtWebEngine (which is Chromium based so it’s more standard conformant) rather than QtWebkit.

QTWebEngine isnt ported to Haiku. We use an old version of Otter I think (QTWebKit).

No - we use latest Otter version. Otter has two backends: qtwebkit and qtwebengine.

4 Likes

maybe you can try http://swtswing.sourceforge.net/main/index.html

It’s no longer updated. We need swt 4.x for Eclipse 4.x, the version on the repo is 3.x.