Computers compatible with Haiku (current version)

This is a community list for listing hardware that works with Haiku (which as of this post is probably empty until there’s new entries) :slight_smile:

With Haiku Beta 2 released, the old lists have been archived, (just like the first list was after Beta 1 came out). This allows listed entries to stay current with the times for those seriously looking for a machine to run Haiku on today. To see the old entries from previous threads, please scroll down to where to find archived lists in this post.

Where to find submitted hardware

Firstly, new hardware that comes in from the add Haiku hardware form is shared in this thread. But it’s also available at:

The Haiku Computer List page

This is a simple webpage, hosted by Google Sites, which lists submitted hardware into categories such as Desktops, Notebooks, etc. Also, please note the “Haiku Computer List” is an unofficial effort to help keep a current HCL with shared entries from the community.

The haiku-computer-list on GitHub

Text files containing submitted hardware (for entries that allow being shared on GitHub) are also available in the above GitHub repo.

All entries are freely accessible under the MIT License.

How to add new hardware…

Method 1: Google Form

A simple way to add new hardware is simply to use the Google Form , which guides you through several questions about your experience with Haiku.

Method 2: Manual entry

If you’re uncomfortable with using Google Forms, please paste and use the template below, then add whatever info you need over the sample info… or simply post useful info about your hardware as a reply to this thread. Thanks!

Model: (for example, Leafbook Autumn Series 5 or DeskBar Skyscraper 4000)
Rating: Works very well (nearly everything works) – or fairly well (some components work, but some do not), poorly (Haiku barely makes it through startup or only the bare essentials work), or does not work
Version: Haiku Nightly: 64-bit (hrev: for example, h52300)
Startup media: USB storage media (USB 3), Internal SSD or hard drive (imaged or installed)
Started with: Legacy BIOS/CSM and UEFI
Boot options: Did not try Haiku boot options
CPU: Intel Core i7-620M (@ 2.66-GHz; 3.33 GHz with TurboBoost), 4MB L3 cache
GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD (Integrated/Discrete) / NVIDIA NVS 3100M graphics with 512MB gDDR3 (Dedicated)
Sound cards: Intel HDA Controller
Networking cards: Broadcom 4312G 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
USB types: USB 2.0/legacy ports, USB 3.0
Webcams: Webcam does not work
Memory: 8 GB DDR3 PC3-10600 SDRAM (1333 MHz)
CPU manufacturer: Intel
Share on GitHub: Yes
SD cards: No, SD reader does not work
Sound status: Sound works
Networking status: Ethernet and Wifi work
Graphics status: Graphics work natively/out of the box
Power status: Battery appears, and PowerStatus reports percentage fine
Restarting: Works fine
Additional notes: Anything you’d like to add about the computer, such as tips or tricks for others in the Haiku community
Contributor: Your name here
Contribution date: 09/28/2018 12:00

Where to find archived lists:

Archived Haiku Computer List:

https://sites.google.com/view/haiku-computer-list-archived/home

Forum topics:

2 Likes

Uh, maybe entries about things being broken should be archived, but at least the ones about computers working should be presumed to still be correct unless something significant changes, which it hasn’t. Why “archive” everything?

So the reason I did this is so there’s not redundant or duplicate entries everywhere; in my case, I’m testing the same hardware over again for Beta 2 and since Beta 1, I have brightness control on my MacBook, full resolution (on a PC that didn’t have this until recent Intel graphics testing for the Nightlies, granted in VESA mode), and several other enhancements like one Mac that no longer gets stuck on startup. Others may notice these little changes as well, but regardless of what has or hasn’t changed since, I think it just helps keep things neater and easier to read by moving old entries out instead of having an outdated entry next to a new one.

That said, nothing has been or will be deleted — just moved. The entries on GitHub are under an ‘archived’ folder but are still there and searchable. And downloadable. The old site is still there (just archived). And the old forum threads are still there with all the info in them. So again nothing’s destroyed.

But… I honestly do see the confusion in me doing this circa every release cycle so far; I think when beta3 or R1 comes out, my plan is to tag or separate items rather than archive them like this.

Wanted to provide an update on this; I’m re-thinking my ‘archiving’ idea and will try to re-organize the pages soon. I’ll post an update when I’m done with this process. Thanks, everyone :slight_smile:

Two updates to post here! :smiley:

The first is that the hardware list itself has received some notable updates over the past few days.

Hardware List updates

Old hardware back in list

The very first thing I got about doing was adding hardware in the ‘archived’ list back to the site. So, you will see R1/Beta2 to present for modern submissions and Before R1/Beta2 for old ones on each hardware page.

And… just as a backup, the archived page will still be around. But the hardware should be re-united now, hopefully fixing any confusion :slight_smile:

Cleaner frontpage

The home or front page has been cleaned up and reorganized, so instead of a bunch of text, there’s now a nice welcome card, and buttons for ‘About this page’, the ‘Add new hardware’ form, and the GitHub repository. There’s also a text labels button here too.

New icons

And this brings me to mentioning there’s a new favicon and also original icons, modeled after a certain historic workstation and some of my favorite hardware :slight_smile: These should help make looking for hardware categories more enjoyable and hopefully easier.

Sidebar

And speaking of categories, there’s also a sidebar now, so this should also make heading for a category much easier.

Search

And while the old version had search in it, it’s hopefully been made more obvious here that the site is searchable, either by pressing Alt+F on Haiku (Cmd+F on Mac, Ctrl+F elsewhere) to bring up your browser’s search bar on a page, or by using the search tool. Since ThinkPads seem to be a popular choice within the community, here’s an example of the three pages where ThinkPads appear:

Translate offer

And finally, while the site itself is just in English, I did want to try to add a translate button of some sort so this bar should now appear throughout the site…

So anyway, that’s the new changes and I hope everyone enjoys them. And tests more hardware :smile: :grin:

New hardware

The second update is to say thank you to the hardware contributors who’ve submitted new hardware :smiley: These have been added to the site and to GitHub:

To view the current hardware list, please see:

To add new hardware:

Method 1: The easiest way is to use the Add Hardware form (v3) powered by Google Forms.
Method 2 : If you don’t like Google, you can alternatively add your hardware by posting to or replying to this thread (but if you do it this way, please refer to and use the same format the other hardware listings do with the template). The listing will then be posted on the Hardware List as with Method 1.
Method 3 : Or… you can also simply reply to this thread with a useful description of your hardware (for example: “Hi, I have a 2020 Leafbook with a 2.6 GHz Intel i7 9750H processor, Intel HD graphics, and 8 GB of 2666MHz DDR4 RAM with Haiku Nightly hrev54042 on it and I started from a USB drive. Works fairly well. Can connect to the Internet including over WiFi. Starts and runs normally, though I get no sound.”)

• Please do not create edit or pull requests on Google Sheets or GitHub, as these will be ignored.
  • For any fixes or questions, please post them here, and I’ll update the hardware list when I can.

Thank you everyone!

4 Likes

Model: Hana 2 en 1 (this one, it’s a tablet convertible)
Rating: Works poorly
Version: Haiku R1/beta2
Startup media: USB storage media (USB 2)
Started with: (U)EFI (64-bit, by choice)
Boot options: Default/booted straight into Haiku
CPU: Intel Atom x5-Z8300 (Cherrytrail, 1.44GHz, I had to edit this part, the specs page is wrong, it’s not a Z8350)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics (Cherrytrail)
Sound cards: Windows displays it as “Intel SST Audio Device”, shows up as bytcht-es8316 on Linux and ESSX8316 on Haiku, not working
Networking cards: Broadcom 802.11n WiFi Adapter (shows up as BCM43430 on Linux), not working
USB types: 1 USB 2.0 port, 1 USB 3.0 port
Webcams: Intel AVStream Camera, not working (appears as OVTI2680 in Haiku)
Memory: 2 GB DIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz
SD cards: MicroSD card reader, not working
Sound status: Sound not working, sound card not recognized
Networking status: WiFi not working, doesn’t have an ethernet port
Graphics status: Graphics work natively/out of the box
Power status: Battery appears twice, always displays 100%, vendor is “Intel SR 1”
Additional notes:

• Touchpad not working
  • Touch screen (SileadTouch, PNP1680) not working (firmware, using the generic gsl1680 on Windows)
  • Accelerometer (Bosch, BOSC0200 on Haiku, unable to test)
  • Micro HDMI port not tested

Contributor: Mark me as anon
Contribution date: 2020-06-17 20:46 UTC (updated on 2020-06-23 to add more hardware details)

PS: I have 2 other laptops I can test if you are interested.

2 Likes

Thank you!

And definitely interested :smiley:

It’s too late to test them well right now and give you technical details, I’ll likely do it during the weekend or next week. What I can tell you in advance is that Haiku works very well on this one (everything works except WiFi, I was surprised to see it scan for and list Bluetooth devices, I couldn’t get that working on Linux) and doesn’t work on this one (corrupted/glitched display, I should try a different video mode next time).

1 Like

Thank you to bregrif, Evening (marked as ‘anon’ as requested), and the anonymous contributor for your CSL desktop hardware; your contributions have been listed in the hardware list and also on GitHub :slight_smile:

To add new hardware:

Method 1: The easiest way is to use the Add Hardware form (v3) powered by Google Forms.
Method 2 : If you don’t like Google, you can alternatively add your hardware by posting to or replying to this thread (but if you do it this way, please refer to and use the same format the other hardware listings do with the template). The listing will then be posted on the Hardware List as with Method 1.
Method 3 : Or… you can also simply reply to this thread with a useful description of your hardware (for example: “Hi, I have a 2020 Leafbook with a 2.6 GHz Intel i7 9750H processor, Intel HD graphics, and 8 GB of 2666MHz DDR4 RAM with Haiku Nightly hrev54042 on it and I started from a USB drive. Works fairly well. Can connect to the Internet including over WiFi. Starts and runs normally, though I get no sound.”)

• Please do not create edit or pull requests on Google Sheets or GitHub, as these will be ignored.
  • For any fixes or questions, please post them here, and I’ll update the hardware list when I can.

Thank you everyone!

Also, here’s a second batch of hardware I noticed in the inbox as well and have added it here, the list, and GitHub – thank you @mazbrili and @alexanrsousa for your hardware contributions :smiley:

To add new hardware:

Thank you everyone!

I am sorry for the late reply, I just got some time to test on my Aspire V7-482PG again. I’ll test my other laptop another day, I’m posting late at night again.

Model: Aspire V7-482PG
Rating: Works amazingly well
Version: Haiku R1/beta2 (quick edit, the 64-bit version)
Started with: Legacy BIOS and UEFI
Boot options: Default on BIOS, 1280x1024 resolution on UEFI, the default of 1920x1080 crashes
CPU: Intel Core i5-4200U
GPU: Intel HD 4400 and Nvidia GeForce GT 750M
Sound cards: Intel (Haswell-ULT) HDA Controller
Networking cards: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (works, I’m using it to post this from Haiku) and Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet (not tested but should work, Haiku displays its MAC address, mine is the RTL8411B)
USB types: 1 USB 3.2, 2 USB 2.0
Webcams: Chicony Electronics HD WebCam, not recognized, not working
Memory: 8 GB DDR3
SD cards: RTL8411B PCI Express Card Reader (PCI Express link bandwidth shared with Ethernet controller), not working
Sound status: I can change the volume, sound card is recognized but sound doesn’t play
Networking status: WiFi works, Ethernet is recognized but I can’t test it
Graphics status: Work out of the box
Power status: Battery appears, PowerStatus reports percentage fine
Additional notes:

• Touchpad doesn’t recognize right click (workaround: configure as 1 button touchpad and use ctrl+click to right click), edge scroll works well. The right click problem happens with other laptops too, all Synaptics touchpads, seems like a limitation in the driver
  • Elan Microelectronics touch screen works! Haiku only uses the touch info to move the cursor though, I can’t find a way to “click”
  • HDMI port not tested
  • UEFI boot requires more testing, when I tried it last week it caused glitched graphics and Haiku was unusable
  • The 24GB M-pcie SSD (Kingston SMS151S324G) is recognized by DriveSetup
  • The HDD of this laptop was replaced with a 250G Samsung SSD that is also recognized by DriveSetup
  • The mic doesn’t seem to be working, SoundRecorder doesn’t record anything
  • Bluetooth works and can pair
  • This laptop is a great candidate for using Haiku on real hardware if you don’t need sound or recording video

Contributor: mark me as anon again
Contribution date: 2020-06-23 5:58 UTC (updated to add more hardware details at 16:24 UTC)

Edit: updated contribution time, I made some more changes before posting and forgot to update it.

Another one.

Model: HP Mini 210
Rating: Fairly well
Version: Haiku R1/beta2 64-bit
Started with: Legacy BIOS (this laptop doesn’t have UEFI)
Boot options: Default
CPU: Intel Atom N450
GPU: Intel GMA 3150
Sound cards: Intel NM10/ICH7 HDA Controller
Networking cards: Realtek RTL81xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller and Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
USB types: 3 USB 2.0
Webcams: HP Webcam-50, not recognized, not working
Memory: 2 GB DDR2
SD cards: Yes, working
Sound status: Sound card recognized, volume control works, sound not playing
Networking status: Ethernet works, WiFi doesn’t work (needs proprietary firmware, Linux installs it with b43-fwcutter, more info here)
Graphics status: Works out of the box
Power status: Battery appears, PowerStatus reports percentage fine
Additional notes:

• Bluetooth works
  • Touchpad is Synaptics, edge scrolling works, right click doesn’t work, unlike my Acer here it gets recognized as a PS/2 mouse instead of a touchpad, configure as a 1 button mouse and use ctrl+click to right click
  • VGA port not tested
  • When inserting an SD card reader Haiku becomes unresponsive for about 30 seconds, after that it works and can read the card
  • Mic is recognized but SoundRecorder doesn’t record anything

Contributor: anon again
Contribution date: 2020-06-23 15:52 UTC

PS: I also updated my previous posts (Hana and Acer) to add more details about the hardware.

Sorry it’s taken much longer than usual to get the list updated! I’d been working on UI concepts shown in posts here and here and so it’s taken a while to get back to the HCL – that said, the entries that have been waiting to be added have today :grinning:

Thank you everyone for your patience and for your hardware contributions! :slight_smile:

To add new hardware:

Thank you everyone!

2 Likes

12 days later (and yet another mockup, which is what again slowed me down), I have finally updated the hardware list again! :slight_smile: Thanks Jeremy Passarelli, RLeonhardt, and the anonymous contributor for your contributions!

To add new hardware:

Method 1: The easiest way is to use the Add Hardware form (v6.20) powered by Google Forms.

Thank you everyone!

Thank you to the anonymous contributor for testing your HP Envy; this should now be listed on the hardware list page and GitHub :slight_smile:

To add new hardware:

Method 1: The easiest way is to use the Add Hardware form (v6.20) powered by Google Forms.

Thank you everyone!

Thank you @Kitsune64 for testing out your Pavilion dv5000! It’s now listed on the hardware list page and GitHub :slight_smile:

To add new hardware:

Thank you everyone!

First thank you Lacey and the anonymous contributor for your hardware submissions! These have been added to haiku-computer-list on GitHub and to the hardware list page. :slight_smile:

Improvements

In between the last update and this one, several updates have been made to several areas of this project:

• The biggest changes are to the haiku-computer-list GitHub repo. To make it easier for Haiku developers to parse contributed entries, these are now stored in YAML format, and in addition there are also JSON and plain text versions as well. All old files have been archived and labelled “r1_beta1” and any files in the current release cycle are “r1_beta2” which should make it clear what belongs to what, both now and in future release cycles (like R1/beta3, R1 itself, etc).
  • The hardware form version has been updated to match the current cycle (beta2) with revision beta2.7.22 (for 22 July) instead of the weird way numbers were assigned before. And its also been quietly tweaked to make Google Forms output easier to deal with across formats.

To add new hardware:

Method 1: The easiest way is to use the Add Hardware form (beta2.7.22) powered by Google Forms.

Thank you everyone!

Thank you to the anonymous contributor(s) for submitting new contributions! These should be both on GitHub and the hardware list page (see links below entries):

To add new hardware:

Method 1: The easiest way is to use the Add Hardware form (beta2.7.22) powered by Google Forms.

Thank you everyone!

Thank you to the Linux Lounge, Nomadic Dmitry, Fredericke for your hardware contributions :slight_smile: Submitted hardware has been added to the hardware list and GitHub

Please note: A new “review notes” section has been added. This is because I’ve noticed some input from the forms doesn’t make sense; for example, a 2020 MBP was noted as having a working SD card reader. If there are review notes that have been added in error, please post a reply here…

To add new hardware:

Thank you everyone!

After a long break away from maintaining this list, I’m back! :smiley: Huge thanks to everyone who’s submitted hardware entries while I’ve taken a break from the HCL – the entries should now be on the Haiku Computer List website, GitHub, and as always are posted here too :slight_smile:

To add new hardware:

Thank you everyone!

1 Like