Computer Compatibility List (OLD! - original list)

HP Elitebook 8440p (Intel HD Graphics)
Processor: x86_64 - (Intel Core i5 (Dual-core; theoretical quad-core))
Version: R1-Alpha4.1 (x86)
Comments: Everything works, with the exception of the audio and webcam.

I hope to have more models in when I have time…

Foxconn NT-330I-A-B-NA-A
Processor: Intel Atom 330
Version: haiku-nightly-hrev48983-x86_gcc2_hybrid-anyboot
Comments: Wireless works but not the internal speaker; I can get audio through the headphone jack.

I promised I’d be back with more models to test, so here are the latest ones I can post here:

Apple MacBook Air (Mid 2011)
Processor: Intel Core i5 (x86_64)
Version: R1-Alpha4.1
Comments: Audio and Airport not yet supported. Otherwise, booted and appears to run!

HP 15-f033
Processor: Intel Celeron N2830 “Bay Trail” (x86_64)
Comments: (Turn on Legacy Mode first.) Cannot find filesystem and fails for now, same as the HP Stream 11…

HP 2000 (Base Model)
Processor: AMD E-350 (1.3 GHz AMD64)
Comments: (Turn on Legacy Mode first.) Boots and runs; wifi not yet supported.

HP EliteBook 8440 (nVidia GPU)
Comments: Everything works except for webcam, audio and hiDPI (low resolution is hardset by Vesa). Wifi needs firmware script to work.

That’s all I have for now. With these, I have now contributed 24 models so far; again, I hope this helps the Haiku team and since this list has sadly not been approved since late October (for proof, see https://www.haiku-os.org/articles/2014-10-27_computer_compatibility_list), back in January I mirrored this list at http://sites.google.com/site/landoftheleaves/compatibility . I will endeavor to add contributors’ names to the list so that all of us get proper credit per model.

Thanks all; long live Haiku!

Thanks for the update. One question: is there still a point at testing with Alpha4.1?

System76 Gazelle Pro
Processor: i7-4700MQ
Version: 49132
Comments:

WORKS: Ethernet, wifi, internal sound, USB, touchpad, SAMSUNG 840 EVO SSD
DOESN’T WORK: HDMI, webcam, SD card slot and my (external) USB audio devices

Haiku doesn’t boot if I have my USB audio devices plugged in and I have to do a little magic trick (boot w/ fail-safe graphics, then change the screen settings, save and then revert them to the desired settings) to get graphics working without blacklisting the Intel GFX driver but apart from that Haiku runs great!

Has anyone loaded Haiku on an Asus eeeBook? I’m wondering specifically about the Asus X205TA with an Intel Atom Z3735; it seems like a great pairing for Haiku.

http://computers.woot.com/offers/asus-eeebook-x205ta-11-6-32gb-notebook-4

I tried and could not install Haiku on a Asus eee PC 1251B. But it is an AMD Brazos, not Intel.

I just added in the contributors next to the respective models on the mirrored list as promised earlier, and have added in the latest models. Please check the mirrored list at https://sites.google.com/site/landoftheleaves/compatibility to check if I made any errors.

I would really like to fix grammatical mistakes and compact the comments in the list so that it appears more professional. In some 2+ paragraph descriptions, I’ve had to do a bit of this already. Would this be okay with everyone here? I’ll try to stay faithful to the original if the answer is yes.

@korli: R1-A4.1 is the “stable” build, but I do understand the nightlies can (and do) patch potential issues. Some models I have tested with nightlies; others with R1-A4.1. If I have more models to test, I’ll test out a nightly with it next time.

@AndrewZ: Thanks, but… what build/revision? Without knowing, it’ll either be “unknown” or I’d have to guess the latest nightly (I did so below):

ASUS eee PC 1251B
Processor: amd64 (Brazos)
Version: Nightly hrev49171
Comments: I tried and could not install Haiku.

I sincerely hope this effort assists the Haiku team and userbase. Thanks again, all!

I’ve got an update:

Sony Vaio P series (this one is a VGN-P31ZK, should be the same for all models)
Processor:Intel Atom z540 1.86GHz (x86), single core but 2 “virtual” cores
Version: nightly h49250 x86
Comments: To boot from USB (or use USB at all) you must go into the boot options and disable ACPI. You may also need to select a fail safe video mode of 1600x768 16 bit even though it will come up in 32 bit anyway (this didnt used to be necessary). Once installed you have a choice at boot: disable ACPI for working USB but no sound or power management, or leave it enabled for ACPI sound and battery monitoring (and power saving).
Tip: You can play movies even with VESA and this really slow processor! Install mplayer from haikudepot and run: mplayer -nocache -lavdopts threads=2 -framedrop
What works: Wifi, battery monitoring (with ACPI enabled), native display resolution with VESA, USB (with ACPI disabled), sound now working too.
What doesnt work: 3G, webcam
Untested: Wired networking, GPS

HP 2133 Mini-Note PC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_2133_Mini-Note_PC)
Processor: x86 VIA C7-M
Version: a4 h47196
Comments: Boots from CD to GUI, screen 640x480 and can’t change, no WiFi, webcam doesn’t work

Lenovo X61s (laptop), model 7666-CTO
Processor: Intel L7500
Version: haiku-nightly-hrev50079-x86_gcc2_hybrid
Comments: Doesn’t work. Some dots run at top left of the screen, a lot of media (CD-RW) reading follows, black screen, wi-fi light (HW) starts flashing (at about 1 flash/sec), forced shutdown from power button required.

[quote=goldencut]Lenovo X61s (laptop), model 7666-CTO
Comments: Doesn’t work. Some dots run at top left of the screen, a lot of media (CD-RW) reading follows, black screen, wi-fi light (HW) starts flashing (at about 1 flash/sec), forced shutdown from power button required.[/quote]

I have an x61 that works almost perfectly. I think you should try to boot from USB (especially since the X61/X61S don’t have a built in optical drive).

The dots at the top of the screen indicate that you should try to start it in safe graphics (i.e. VESA) mode. If that gets you in, you can make the change permanent by editing the kernel settings file. I’ve had a few like that.

Odd though, because the x61s is identical to the x61 except for the CPU, so the graphics should work with intel extreme. But I didn’t try to boot with that machine for over a year, so perhaps there is a regression.

Is anyone running Haiku on an AMD AM3+ or FM+ motherboard?

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 (AMD AM3+) MB
AMD Athlon™ II X2 270 Processor
8 GB RAM
All works fine in Haiku.
… USB3 not tested.

It’s been a long time since I’ve done any Haiku hardware testing, but I went ahead and evaluated a nightly build on several machines over the past few days, and here they are…

Lenovo ThinkCentre E73
Processor: x64 i5 quad
Version: Nightly h50416
Comments: Everything works excellent. (Extra note: It may just be my display, but it initially booted in 256 colors (8-bit), but once set to millions of colors (24-bit/true), it runs fine.) Legacy mode must be enabled.

HP EliteBook 8530 (ATI GPU)
Processor: x64 Core 2 Duo
Comments: Everything appears to work fine (except the cam).

HP ProBook 4310s
Comments: Everything works excellent, (except the cam). Earlier generation than previously tested 4320s.

Dell Latitude D510
Processor: x86 Pentium M
Comments: I didn’t get audio output, but everything else works.

Dell Latitude D820
Processor: x86 Core Duo
Comments: Same as the d510; I didn’t get audio output, but everything else works.

HP Stream Pro 11"
Processor: x64 Celeron (Core-M compatible)
Comments: Cannot find boot partition and halts; must use KDL. Secure boot must be off and legacy mode enabled.

There are a few other machines I tested, but as they didn’t work that great with this revision/nightly, I’ve left them out. (For example, on a HP 15 I tested, Haiku hard panicked, and on a MacBook I tested, it failed to find the Haiku disk. I did post my Stream Pro comments, as I’m hoping both these and the entry-level Stream models will be supported soon.) And as for “Land of the Leaves”, you’ve probably noticed I’d closed it; this is because I’m hoping to link to a new site with the list once it’s ready.

Anyway, I hope more hardware on the list will help both new users and the community!

I have consolidated all the replies to this thread into one last post for easy access in the future, should anyone want to reference it, but do not want to merge this into anything new.

A new list has been started, hopefully as a Wiki page. Please do NOT add anything to this thread! The info in this thread is pre-beta, years old, and outdated!

Post 1 (sorted by hardware type):

Convertible notebooks & tablets

HP Compaq tc4200
Processor: x86
Version: Nightly h47380-gcc2hybrid x86
Comments: Everything works; Wifi requires installing drivers

HP EliteBook 2730p
Processor: Dual x86_64
Comments: Screen resolution is broken; broken with no other testing done

Lenovo ThinkPad x61 (Convertible CTO; see below for laptop)
Comments: Everything else works; tablet does not work

Laptops, Netbooks, and Notebooks:

Acer Aspire One AOA150
Version: R1-Alpha4 x86
Comments: Everything works

ASUS EeePC 701 4G
Version: Not given - x86
Comments: Everything works except the built-in webcam.

Apple iBook G4 1.33GHz (Altivec)
Processor: ppc32
Version: R1-Alpha2 PowerPC Port
Comments: Would not boot; stayed at OpenFirmware “?” screen.

Apple MacBook (2006 Polycarbonate)
Processor: Dual x86
Comments: Cannot start from hard disk; boots into Haiku from live CD/USB in legacy mode - Sound broken, Wifi, keyboard and trackpad work

Apple MacBook Black (Late 2007)
Comments: Cannot start from hard disk; boots into Haiku from live CD/USB in legacy mode - Sound broken, Wifi, keyboard and trackpad work

Compaq Presario CQ57-339wm
Processor: Intel Celeron (x86_64)
Version: R1-Alpha4
Comments: It boots and runs; no wifi, broken screen resolution (pc-bsd does that to and it is more broken), no usb boot, does no see usb 2 ports,mouse pad laggy, no fan controle (linux can’t do that ether).

Dell Inspiron Mini 1018
Comments: Everything works except the built-in webcam.

Dell Latitude CPX (H500GT)
Comments: Everything works. However, there is no Wifi support for PC cards; without built-in support, this model is limited to Ethernet for now…

Dell Latitude C510
Comments: Everything works; no native Wifi support

Dell Latitude D420
Comments: Everything works except sound

Laptop: Dell Latitude D830
Version(s): Haiku A4, Haiku Nightly GCC2 hybrid (hrev47788) - x86
Comments: In both versions tested, I’m able to boot from a Haiku CD (from the AnyBoot image), create a Haiku/BeOS partition, install to it, and boot from hard disk. Video works well. Keyboard and touchpad works well. Nubby stick mouse doesn’t work at all (it does in other FOSS operating systems, including GNU/Linux and OpenBSD, so I know the hardware itself is functional…). Audio appears to be non-op; despite volume settings being set correctly, no audio plays on speakers or headphones. With Haiku A4, the wireless chipset (Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG) is unusably buggy; it won’t connect to WPA networks at all, and is very sketchy on even unsecured networks. The wired ethernet (Broadcom NetXtreme 5755M) is also sketchy; it doesn’t seem to want to enable itself by default. Didn’t test this further before testing again with a nightly. Nightly hrev47788 works phenomenally better in terms of networking; both wireless and wired ethernet work out-of-the-box without issue, even with WPA/WPA2. Nubby mouse and audio still don’t work, however.

HP Mini 110
Comments: Everything works, except for the built-in Broadcom Wifi

HP 2000-239dx
Processor: Dual amd64
Comments: Everything works; cannot locate disk to install

HP 2000-2b19wm
Comments: Somewhat works; must be booted in Legacy Mode! Cannot install. No HDMI.

HP G72-b49wm
Version: R1-Alpha2 x86
Comments: Everything works; low resolution and no native Broadcom bcm4311 Wifi support. No HDMI.

HP ProBook 4320s
Comments: Will not boot at this time (most likely due to EFI)

Lenovo ThinkPad x61 - (non-tablet)
Processor: x86_64, Booted x86 (Core 2 duo)
Version: Nightly h47885-gcc2hybrid
Comments: Works as tablet version above. But note SD card slot not working, didn’t try firewire.

Lenovo ThinkPad x230
Processor: x86_64
Comments: Will not boot at this time (most likely due to EFI)

Lenovo ThinkPad x230
Processor: x86_64, Booted x86 (Core i5 4 soft cores)
Comments: Mostly works. Expresscard and SD slot not working. Intel graphics sometimes boots with a blank screen, but vesa works well.

IBM ThinkPad x31
Processor: x86, Booted x86 (Pentium M single core)
Comments: Radeon graphics work (with dual monitor support!), mouse, keyboard, HDD, USB, audio, battery status all work. Didn’t try ethernet, no wifi installed in this unit, didn’t try firewire. Compact flash, PCMCIA slots not working.

Samsung RV510
Version: R1-Alpha2 to Alpha4
Comments: Does not boot. This laptop has been giving BootLoader Death Land errors since alpha 2.

Toshiba Satellite L350/L355
Processor: amd64
Comments: Everything appears to work. No HDMI.

Desktops:

Apple iMac 21.5" (Mid-2010)
Processor: Quad-core x86_64
Version: Not given
Comments: No wifi, but ethernet works. Video is VESA and is unable to give native resolution (smears a 4:3 resolution across the 1920x 1080 display). No sound. Fan never seems to come on, so watch for heat buildup. Wireless keyboard OK. Magic Trackpad works badly, jut plug in a real wired mouse instead.

Compaq CQ2009f
Version: R1-Alpha2 x86
Comments: Everything works!

Dell Optiplex GX620
Comments: Everything appears to work.

Dell Precision T3610
Processor: x86_64, Booted x86 (Dual 8 core Xeons - 32 soft cores)
Comments: Doesn’t boot from CD or USB. USB gets as far as trying to mount the boot fs.

eMachine ET1331G-wm
Comments: Everything appears to work.

Additional contributions to old list in posts below the opening post:
(Note some models might be repeated in this list)…

HP Compaq 6710b
Version: R1-Alpha4
Comments: Froze at intro screen during normal startup. Otherwise, is working.

Sony Vaio P series (VGN-P31ZK) - This teeny tiny laptopfails to boot haiku from USB. However, if you create a partition in Linux, dd a raw image on to it, use makebootabletiny to make the partition bootable, and add it to grub, haiku will run!
Works: Native display resolution (VESA), mouse, keyboard, wifi
Not working: USB devices (only tried a USB stick, maybe other things will work), sound, wired networking (marvell yukon)
Processor:Intel Atom (x86), single core but 2 “virtual” cores. Booted x86
Hrev: 48481

Fujitsu Lifebook P7230
Processor: Intel Core Duo
Version: Nightly h48444-gcc2hybrid x86
Comments: Everything works aside from broken intel hda audio driver, works fine with oss driver.

ASUS Eee PC 1000HE
WIFI doesn’t work – could be an issue with r48472, could be the one WIFI router I’ve tried.
Builtin camera and microphone don’t seem to be supported.
Have audio, have battery status, multi-touch pad

Re problem 2 posts above with USB stick boot – I had some trouble, but does work. At this point I don’t know if it’s something weird about the particular stick (PNY), or what, but it doesn’t configure in the BIOS as a “removable”, it’s a “disk.” So I can boot from it, but I need to set that up in the boot disk menu, not on the boot device menu. (And I have a couple older, smaller ones with a Princeton label - larger one is 512Mb - that just don’t work (“NTLDR” missing.)

ASUS Eee PC 1000HE
Processor: x86 (2 core Atom)
nightly 48472 x86_gcc2

Builtin microphone, camera do not work.
Everything else works that I know of - i945GME graphics, touchpad, USB mouse, Atheros ethernet, …
Battery drains pretty fast on Haiku but it’s big, good for several hours anyway.

The RT2790 wireless card originally installed didn’t work - but AR5BXB63 replacement card does work, and this was allegedly taken from a 1000HE. This is an update to add that information.

HP Stream 11 (Horizon Blue)
Processor: x86_64 (dual Celeron N2840 “Bay Trail”-base)
Version: Nightly h48613 (x86 and x86-64 builds)
Comments: (You must turn off Secure Boot first.) Booted to devices, then panicked, even with all safe mode options on. No further testing done.

Dell Vostro 420
Processor: x86_64 - (Intel Core 2 Quad)
Comments: Everything appears to work with SB+(U)EFI off. Audio untested.

Dell XPS 8500
Processor: x86_64 - Intel Core i5 (Quad-core)
Comments: Everything appears to work with SB+(U)EFI off. Audio untested.

HP Envy 14-1080us
Processor: x86_64 - (Intel Core i3 (Dual-core; theoretical quad-core))
Version: R1-Alpha4.1 (x86) + h48626 (x86_64)
Comments: Halts with a faliure to find startup disk. No further testing done.

HP Elitebook 8440p (Intel HD Graphics)
Processor: x86_64 - (Intel Core i5 (Dual-core; theoretical quad-core))
Comments: Everything works, with the exception of the audio and webcam.

Foxconn NT-330I-A-B-NA-A
Processor: Intel Atom 330
Version: haiku-nightly-hrev48983-x86_gcc2_hybrid-anyboot
Comments: Wireless works but not the internal speaker; I can get audio through the headphone jack.

Apple MacBook Air (Mid 2011)
Comments: Audio and Airport not yet supported. Otherwise, booted and appears to run!

HP 15-f033
Processor: Intel Celeron N2830 “Bay Trail” (x86_64)
Comments: (Turn on Legacy Mode first.) Cannot find filesystem and fails for now, same as the HP Stream 11…

HP 2000 (Base Model)
Processor: AMD E-350 (1.3 GHz AMD64)
Comments: (Turn on Legacy Mode first.) Boots and runs; wifi not yet supported.

HP EliteBook 8440 (nVidia GPU)
Comments: Everything works except for webcam, audio and hiDPI (low resolution is hardset by Vesa). Wifi needs firmware script to work.

System76 Gazelle Pro
Processor: i7-4700MQ
Version: 49132
Comments:

WORKS: Ethernet, wifi, internal sound, USB, touchpad, SAMSUNG 840 EVO SSD
DOESN’T WORK: HDMI, webcam, SD card slot and my (external) USB audio devices

Haiku doesn’t boot if I have my USB audio devices plugged in and I have to do a little magic trick (boot w/ fail-safe graphics, then change the screen settings, save and then revert them to the desired settings) to get graphics working without blacklisting the Intel GFX driver but apart from that Haiku runs great!

Sony Vaio P series (this one is a VGN-P31ZK, should be the same for all models)
Processor:Intel Atom z540 1.86GHz (x86), single core but 2 “virtual” cores
Version: nightly h49250 x86
Comments: To boot from USB (or use USB at all) you must go into the boot options and disable ACPI. You may also need to select a fail safe video mode of 1600x768 16 bit even though it will come up in 32 bit anyway (this didnt used to be necessary). Once installed you have a choice at boot: disable ACPI for working USB but no sound or power management, or leave it enabled for ACPI sound and battery monitoring (and power saving).
Tip: You can play movies even with VESA and this really slow processor! Install mplayer from haikudepot and run: mplayer -nocache -lavdopts threads=2 -framedrop
What works: Wifi, battery monitoring (with ACPI enabled), native display resolution with VESA, USB (with ACPI disabled), sound now working too.
What doesnt work: 3G, webcam
Untested: Wired networking, GPS

HP 2133 Mini-Note PC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_2133_Mini-Note_PC)
Processor: x86 VIA C7-M
Version: a4 h47196
Comments: Boots from CD to GUI, screen 640x480 and can’t change, no WiFi, webcam doesn’t work

Lenovo X61s (laptop), model 7666-CTO
Comments: Doesn’t work. Some dots run at top left of the screen, a lot of media (CD-RW) reading follows, black screen, wi-fi light (HW) starts flashing (at about 1 flash/sec), forced shutdown from power button required.

Lenovo ThinkCentre E73
Processor: x64 i5 quad
Comments: Everything works excellent. (Extra note: It may just be my display, but it initially booted in 256 colors (8-bit), but once set to millions of colors (24-bit/true), it runs fine.) Legacy mode must be enabled.

HP EliteBook 8530 (ATI GPU)
Comments: Everything appears to work fine (except the cam).

HP ProBook 4310s
Comments: Everything works excellent, (except the cam). Earlier generation than previously tested 4320s.

Dell Latitude D510
Processor: x86 Pentium M
Comments: I didn’t get audio output, but everything else works.

Dell Latitude D820
Processor: x86 Core Duo
Comments: Same as the d510; I didn’t get audio output, but everything else works.

HP Stream Pro 11"
Processor: x64 Celeron (Core-M compatible)
Comments: Cannot find boot partition and halts; must use KDL. Secure boot must be off and legacy mode enabled.

Again, these are old/archived; I copied everything into one last post at the end, but am hoping to have a new list for the modern era. I’ve asked if this thread can be locked to avoid user/reader confusion for that reason. (Again, to any readers, please don’t add more info to this post; the list of archived models is on post #50, linked to here.)