Computer Compatibility List (OLD! - original list)

I noticed that we do not have an official list of computers that are known to work with Haiku. Rather than just a HCL, I thought I’d start this list with the computers I have tested Haiku on and that others can contribute to and add their computers to as well!

My sincere hope is that this list will help both the Haiku development team in general and to see where to best focus their efforts, as well as to help new users see how well their prospective computer(s) will work with the Haiku OS.

Important note: When/if you test a model and wish to add it, please put it in this format or similar to make it easy for others to read and understand:

Fooware Desknote H2014 (i.e. your model)
Processor: x86/x86_64/ARM/etc.
Version: Nightly h####-(gcc type), (or R1-Alpha#)
Comments: Whatever you notice… but please keep it within a few lines! Also, if you have a computer you’ve (re)built yourself or unusual hardware in it, please make a note of that as well.

Thank you for reading the above info. The full list can be found in the posts below, or at the following site where I mirror a copy: http://www.landoftheleaves.org/p/compatibility-list.html

http://haikuware.com/hardware-database/

http://haikuware.com/hardware-database/

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 1150
Processor: x86; booted x86
No built-in wifi, Ethernet works. Sound works (badly). Intel video works with recent nightlies.

Laptop: Samsung RV510
Processor x86_64. Does not boot. This laptop has been giving BootLoader Death Land errors since alpha 2.

Desktop: Apple iMac 21.5" mid 2010
Processor - quad-core x86_64
No wifi, but ethernet works. Video is VESA and is unable to give native resolution (smears a 4:3 resolution across the 1920x 1080 display). No sound. Fan never seems to come on, so watch for heat buildup. Wireless keyboard OK. Magic Trackpad works badly, jut plug in a real wired mouse instead.

PS: to install Haiku to HD on an Intel Mac and boot from there you need to install either ReFind or ReFit.
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/
http://refit.sourceforge.net/
This may change as work on the EFI bootloader progresses.

You should add the revision of Haiku that you’ve been testing. The very next hrev might fix what’s preventing booting or networking at the moment you’ve done your test.
Of course that implies that whoever reads your list in a month or a year will have to quickly create a USB stick or Live-CD with the then current Haiku release to try for herself…
Helping to keep the list of supported components up-to-date might be a more practical approach. Many people build their own machines and models from Dell, Compaq or HP might change their components over time. Also, I never find the exact particular modell I’m looking for in such lists; it’s always just a similar one with one number or letter difference, some named different in my country etc… :slight_smile:

Regards,
Humdinger

The x61 is my old machine, and although I haven’t tested it in a little while (4 months) it was pretty much fully working, aside from obviously unsupported features like LCD brightness and power management. Audio, wireless & wired ethernet all work, as does the intel graphics.

I now have an x230, and it is also very well supported. The only issue is that sometimes it boots up with a blank screen and you have to restart until the display comes up properly.

I also have a macbook 1,1 (Core Duo) and that machine did have some issues. IIRC you can get audio working using OSSv4, but there were some issues with graphics, and obviously you need an external mouse because there is no right button. The wired network was detected but didn’t work, I can’t remember if the wireless worked.

I have an x31 as well, but I haven’t tested it with haiku.

Added 2 more notebook computers to the list, and noted what version was booted on each. Unfortunately, I do not have the exact version or build for the other machines tested, but I agree such info is helpful. Also, the link to the old list didn’t work in Chrome or Safari - are you sure this page is still online?

With permission from contributors to this post, it’d be great to add the additional computer models to the top post so that readers don’t have to scroll through the entire thread. Of course, if I did this, I would give credit for each computer I have not tested in the above list.

Thank you, all.

ASUS EeePC 701 4G. Everything works except the built-in webcam.
Dell Inspiron Mini 1018. Everything works except the built-in webcam.

I have no problem with you taking my data and adding it to the original list. But let’s keep it positive: We can and should report computers that do not run Haiku, but the list at the top should be of those models that work, well, at least 90%.

Well, more importantly those that don’t work should have the reason identified, and tickets open for it: http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/ReportingBugs

Compaq Presario CQ57-339wm notebook pc intel celeion

Haiku : Alpha 4 R1
Works:It boots and runs
what does not: no wifi, broken screen resolution (pc-bsd does that to and it is more broken), no usb boot, does no see usb 2 ports,mouse pad laggy, no fan controle (linux can’t do that ether).

Laptop: Dell Latitude D830
Processor: Dual x86_64 (booted x86)
Version(s): Haiku A4, Haiku Nightly GCC2 hybrid (hrev47788)

In both versions tested, I’m able to boot from a Haiku CD (from the AnyBoot image), create a Haiku/BeOS partition, install to it, and boot from hard disk. Video works well. Keyboard and touchpad works well. Nubby stick mouse doesn’t work at all (it does in other FOSS operating systems, including GNU/Linux and OpenBSD, so I know the hardware itself is functional…). Audio appears to be non-op; despite volume settings being set correctly, no audio plays on speakers or headphones.

With Haiku A4, the wireless chipset (Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG) is unusably buggy; it won’t connect to WPA networks at all, and is very sketchy on even unsecured networks. The wired ethernet (Broadcom NetXtreme 5755M) is also sketchy; it doesn’t seem to want to enable itself by default. Didn’t test this further before testing again with a nightly.

Nightly hrev47788 works phenomenally better in terms of networking; both wireless and wired ethernet work out-of-the-box without issue, even with WPA/WPA2. Nubby mouse and audio still don’t work, however.

IBM ThinkPad x31 - Intel graphics work (with dual monitor support!), mouse, keyboard, HDD, USB, audio, battery status all work. Didn’t try ethernet, no wifi installed in this unit, didn’t try firewire. Compact flash, PCMCIA slots not working.
Processor: x86, Booted x86 (Pentium M single core)
Version: Nightly h47885-gcc2hybrid

Lenovo ThinkPad x61 - (non-tablet) Works as tablet version above. But note SD card slot not working, didn’t try firewire.
Processor: x86_64, Booted x86 (Core 2 duo)

Lenovo ThinkPad x230 - Mostly works. Expresscard and SD slot not working. Intel graphics sometimes boots with a blank screen, but vesa works well.
Processor: x86_64, Booted x86 (Core i5 4 soft cores)

Macbook 1,1 (black) - Didn’t try ethernet. Sound doesn’t work. I did have an HDD install on here a while ago, not sure if that still works due to other report above. Fans on full (very noisy). Didn’t check battery status
Processor: x86, Booted x86 (Core duo - dual 32 bit CPUs)

Dell Precision T3610 - Doesn’t boot from CD or USB. USB gets as far as trying to mount the boot fs.
Processor: x86_64, Booted x86 (Dual 8 core Xeons - 32 soft cores)

IBM ThinkPad x31 - radeon graphics work (with dual monitor support!), mouse, keyboard, HDD, USB, audio, battery status all work. Didn’t try ethernet, no wifi installed in this unit, didn’t try firewire. Compact flash, PCMCIA slots not working.

Lenovo ThinkPad x61 - (non-tablet) Works as tablet version above. But note SD card slot not working, didn’t try firewire.

Lenovo ThinkPad x230 - Mostly works. Expresscard and SD slot not working. Intel graphics sometimes boots with a blank screen, but vesa works well.

Macbook 1,1 (black) - Didn’t try ethernet. Sound doesn’t work. I did have an HDD install on here a while ago, not sure if that still works due to other report above. Fans on full (very noisy). Didn’t check battery status
Processor: x86, Booted x86 (Core duo - dual 32 bit CPUs)

Dell Precision T3610 - Doesn’t boot from CD or USB. USB gets as far as trying to mount the boot fs.

Thanks for your contributions, everyone! I seriously hope that this helps new + existing users, as well as the Haiku development team in finding what works, what to fix on said models, and what people are using!

I noticed, however, that this list is unofficial and hard to navigate, and thus have started a document that I hope I can keep updating as new models get introduced here.

A full version of ALL our contributions to this list (or the document itself) is shown below (the document is here:

This is an article that is derived from the “Computer Compatibility List” thread. It is meant to be a quick reference guide of all the different computer models that have been tested by various users with Haiku. It is different because it focuses on models rather than hardware components alone, and allows one central location for developers and users to see the current working state of Haiku on said hardware:

Convertible notebooks & tablets:

HP Compaq tc4200
Processor: x86
Version: Nightly h47380-gcc2hybrid x86
Comments: Everything works; Wifi requires installing drivers

HP EliteBook 2730p
Processor: Dual x86_64
Comments: Screen resolution is broken; broken with no other testing done

Lenovo ThinkPad x61 (Convertible CTO; see below for laptop)
Comments: Everything else works; tablet does not work

Laptops, Netbooks, and Notebooks:

Acer Aspire One AOA150
Version: R1-Alpha4 x86
Comments: Everything works

ASUS EeePC 701 4G
Version: Not given - x86
Comments: Everything works except the built-in webcam.

Apple iBook G4 1.33GHz (Altivec)
Processor: ppc32
Version: R1-Alpha2 PowerPC Port
Comments: Would not boot; stayed at OpenFirmware “?” screen.

Apple MacBook (2006 Polycarbonate)
Processor: Dual x86
Comments: Cannot start from hard disk; boots into Haiku from live CD/USB in legacy mode - Sound broken, Wifi, keyboard and trackpad work

Apple MacBook Black (Late 2007)
Comments: Cannot start from hard disk; boots into Haiku from live CD/USB in legacy mode - Sound broken, Wifi, keyboard and trackpad work

Compaq Presario CQ57-339wm
Processor: Intel Celeron (x86_64)
Version: R1-Alpha4
Comments: It boots and runs; no wifi, broken screen resolution (pc-bsd does that to and it is more broken), no usb boot, does no see usb 2 ports,mouse pad laggy, no fan controle (linux can’t do that ether).

Dell Inspiron Mini 1018
Comments: Everything works except the built-in webcam.

Dell Latitude CPX (H500GT)
Comments: Everything works. However, there is no Wifi support for PC cards; without built-in support, this model is limited to Ethernet for now…

Dell Latitude C510
Comments: Everything works; no native Wifi support

Dell Latitude D420
Comments: Everything works except sound

Laptop: Dell Latitude D830
Version(s): Haiku A4, Haiku Nightly GCC2 hybrid (hrev47788) - x86
Comments: In both versions tested, I’m able to boot from a Haiku CD (from the AnyBoot image), create a Haiku/BeOS partition, install to it, and boot from hard disk. Video works well. Keyboard and touchpad works well. Nubby stick mouse doesn’t work at all (it does in other FOSS operating systems, including GNU/Linux and OpenBSD, so I know the hardware itself is functional…). Audio appears to be non-op; despite volume settings being set correctly, no audio plays on speakers or headphones. With Haiku A4, the wireless chipset (Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG) is unusably buggy; it won’t connect to WPA networks at all, and is very sketchy on even unsecured networks. The wired ethernet (Broadcom NetXtreme 5755M) is also sketchy; it doesn’t seem to want to enable itself by default. Didn’t test this further before testing again with a nightly. Nightly hrev47788 works phenomenally better in terms of networking; both wireless and wired ethernet work out-of-the-box without issue, even with WPA/WPA2. Nubby mouse and audio still don’t work, however.

HP Mini 110
Comments: Everything works, except for the built-in Broadcom Wifi

HP 2000-239dx
Processor: Dual amd64
Comments: Everything works; cannot locate disk to install

HP 2000-2b19wm
Comments: Somewhat works; must be booted in Legacy Mode! Cannot install. No HDMI.

HP G72-b49wm
Version: R1-Alpha2 x86
Comments: Everything works; low resolution and no native Broadcom bcm4311 Wifi support. No HDMI.

HP ProBook 4320s
Comments: Will not boot at this time (most likely due to EFI)

Lenovo ThinkPad x61 - (non-tablet)
Comments: Works as tablet version above. But note SD card slot not working, didn’t try firewire.

Lenovo ThinkPad x230
Processor: x86_64
Comments: Will not boot at this time (most likely due to EFI)

Lenovo ThinkPad x230
Comments: Mostly works. Expresscard and SD slot not working. Intel graphics sometimes boots with a blank screen, but vesa works well.

IBM ThinkPad x31
Comments: Radeon graphics work (with dual monitor support!), mouse, keyboard, HDD, USB, audio, battery status all work. Didn’t try ethernet, no wifi installed in this unit, didn’t try firewire. Compact flash, PCMCIA slots not working.

Samsung RV510
Version: R1-Alpha2 to Alpha4
Comments: Does not boot. This laptop has been giving BootLoader Death Land errors since alpha 2.

Toshiba Satellite L350/L355
Processor: amd64
Comments: Everything appears to work. No HDMI.

Desktops:

Apple iMac 21.5" (Mid-2010)
Processor: Quad-core x86_64
Version: Not given
Comments: No wifi, but ethernet works. Video is VESA and is unable to give native resolution (smears a 4:3 resolution across the 1920x 1080 display). No sound. Fan never seems to come on, so watch for heat buildup. Wireless keyboard OK. Magic Trackpad works badly, jut plug in a real wired mouse instead.

Compaq CQ2009f
Version: R1-Alpha2 x86
Comments: Everything works!

Dell Optiplex GX620
Comments: Everything appears to work.

Dell Precision T3610
Comments: Doesn’t boot from CD or USB. USB gets as far as trying to mount the boot fs.

eMachine ET1331G-wm
Comments: Everything appears to work.

Important note: When/if you test a model, please put it in a similar format to make it easy to add to the list and easy for others to understand:

Fooware Desknote H2014
Processor: x86/x86_64/ARM/etc.
Version: Nightly h####-(gcc type), (or R1-Alpha#)
Comments: Whatever you notice… but please keep it within a few lines. If you have a custom build or unusual hardware in it, please make a note of it.

Again, the document link is here. Thanks and long live Haiku!

1 Like

I am logged in, but…

https://www.haiku-os.org/articles/2014-10-27_computer_compatibility_list

Access denied

You are not authorized to access this page. Please make sure that you are logged in.

If you are trying to use the contact form of our website (for example, to contact the GSoC Haiku Administrator), login is required. If you don’t have an account with us, you can create one here.

If you are logged in and you think that you are getting this message in error, please contact the Webmaster using our contact form.

It is an unpublished article and needs to be checked over by a mod or admin before it can be published.

Sorry about the confusion. My comment about the posting has “for approval” in the title, (which is why it is not openable right now), but I should have been more clear about that, and less vague. It’s a draft only right now, and I hope to have it approved and published soon. Thanks, all. Also, here is a new model:

HP Compaq 6710b
Version: R1-Alpha4
Comments: Froze at intro screen during normal startup. Otherwise, is working.

I am intrested in the ideal of a web app that would harvest this type of information into an easy to use database. Maybe a desktop Haiku compatibility report app that sends the information it has collected to the web app.

Might be a good idea to a GCI task.

That would indeed be an awesome addition to Haiku!