Computer Compatibility List (OLD! - original list)

Fortunately there are various resources available to assist when troubleshooting or even just trying to gain a better understanding of how the setup online fashion works.

Sony Vaio P series (VGN-P31ZK) - This teeny tiny laptopfails to boot haiku from USB. However, if you create a partition in Linux, dd a raw image on to it, use makebootabletiny to make the partition bootable, and add it to grub, haiku will run!
Works: Native display resolution (VESA), mouse, keyboard, wifi
Not working: USB devices (only tried a USB stick, maybe other things will work), sound, wired networking (marvell yukon)
Processor:Intel Atom (x86), single core but 2 “virtual” cores. Booted x86
Hrev: 48481

Fujitsu Lifebook P7230
Processor: Intel Core Duo
Version: Nightly h48444-gcc2hybrid x86
Comments: Everything works aside from broken intel hda audio driver, works fine with oss driver.

ASUS Eee PC 1000HE
WIFI doesn’t work – could be an issue with r48472, could be the one WIFI router I’ve tried.
Builtin camera and microphone don’t seem to be supported.
Have audio, have battery status, multi-touch pad

Re problem 2 posts above with USB stick boot – I had some trouble, but does work. At this point I don’t know if it’s something weird about the particular stick (PNY), or what, but it doesn’t configure in the BIOS as a “removable”, it’s a “disk.” So I can boot from it, but I need to set that up in the boot disk menu, not on the boot device menu. (And I have a couple older, smaller ones with a Princeton label - larger one is 512Mb - that just don’t work (“NTLDR” missing.)

If I had the time, I have an overwhelmingly massive collection of various motherboards, add on cards, desktops, and notebooks that I could do compatibility tests on, literally rooms full of random tech…

It would be very useful - and maybe not so difficoult to implement - to let users upload detailed configs (generated by a specific tool, for example HWiNFO/DOS wich is freeware: http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) and then allow the system itself to report functionalities on every system “automatically”…

[quote=donn]ASUS Eee PC 1000HE
Re problem 2 posts above with USB stick boot – I had some trouble, but does work. At this point I don’t know if it’s something weird about the particular stick (PNY), or what, but it doesn’t configure in the BIOS as a “removable”, it’s a “disk.” So I can boot from it, but I need to set that up in the boot disk menu, not on the boot device menu. (And I have a couple older, smaller ones with a Princeton label - larger one is 512Mb - that just don’t work (“NTLDR” missing.)[/quote]

Booting from USB is no problem, this works for, e.g. Linux, but when booting haiku from USB the haiku boot icons stop lighting up when it gets to looking for the filesystem to boot from and it crashes, because the haiku USB driver is not working at all on this machine. Once installed using the dd method, no USB devices work - memory sticks, mice, keyboards etc. I reported it as a bug yesterday and there is already a patch (thanks korli!) that I haven’t tried yet: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/11619

Compatibility list on top updated with new machines and edits. Since the separate document does not appear like it will be approved (it has been over 2 weeks), I have posted a copy of our list to a Google Sites page as well, where anyone is welcome to read our full compatibility list as well (link is in the top post). Thanks, all! I really hope, as mentioned above, that by having this list, it will help the Haiku team.

ASUS Eee PC 1000HE
Processor: x86 (2 core Atom)
nightly 48472 x86_gcc2

Builtin microphone, camera do not work.
Everything else works that I know of - i945GME graphics, touchpad, USB mouse, Atheros ethernet, …
Battery drains pretty fast on Haiku but it’s big, good for several hours anyway.

The RT2790 wireless card originally installed didn’t work - but AR5BXB63 replacement card does work, and this was allegedly taken from a 1000HE. This is an update to add that information.

Watch this site for test of laptops. Is in german, but the infos can be usefull:

http://aspeers.blogspot.de/

I purchased one of these over the holidays after finding one on sale, and decided to test Haiku on it. Sadly, it’s not booting yet…

HP Stream 11 (Horizon Blue)
Processor: x86_64 (dual Celeron N2840 “Bay Trail”-base)
Version: Nightly h48613 (x86 and x86-64 builds)
Comments: (You must turn off Secure Boot first.) Booted to devices, then panicked, even with all safe mode options on. No further testing done.

Also, top post updated again with new models.

Thought I’d contribute some more with a few more models:

Dell Vostro 420
Processor: x86_64 - (Intel Core 2 Quad)
Version: R1-Alpha4.1 (x86)
Comments: Everything appears to work with SB+(U)EFI off. Audio untested.

Dell XPS 8500
Processor: x86_64 - Intel Core i5 (Quad-core)
Comments: Everything appears to work with SB+(U)EFI off. Audio untested.

HP Envy 14-1080us
Processor: x86_64 - (Intel Core i3 (Dual-core; theoretical quad-core))
Version: R1-Alpha4.1 (x86) + h48626 (x86_64)
Comments: Halts with a faliure to find startup disk. No further testing done.

HP Elitebook 8440p (Intel HD Graphics)
Processor: x86_64 - (Intel Core i5 (Dual-core; theoretical quad-core))
Comments: Everything works, with the exception of the audio and webcam.

I hope to have more models in when I have time…

Foxconn NT-330I-A-B-NA-A
Processor: Intel Atom 330
Version: haiku-nightly-hrev48983-x86_gcc2_hybrid-anyboot
Comments: Wireless works but not the internal speaker; I can get audio through the headphone jack.

I promised I’d be back with more models to test, so here are the latest ones I can post here:

Apple MacBook Air (Mid 2011)
Processor: Intel Core i5 (x86_64)
Version: R1-Alpha4.1
Comments: Audio and Airport not yet supported. Otherwise, booted and appears to run!

HP 15-f033
Processor: Intel Celeron N2830 “Bay Trail” (x86_64)
Comments: (Turn on Legacy Mode first.) Cannot find filesystem and fails for now, same as the HP Stream 11…

HP 2000 (Base Model)
Processor: AMD E-350 (1.3 GHz AMD64)
Comments: (Turn on Legacy Mode first.) Boots and runs; wifi not yet supported.

HP EliteBook 8440 (nVidia GPU)
Processor: Intel Core i5 (x86_64)
Comments: Everything works except for webcam, audio and hiDPI (low resolution is hardset by Vesa). Wifi needs firmware script to work.

That’s all I have for now. With these, I have now contributed 24 models so far; again, I hope this helps the Haiku team and since this list has sadly not been approved since late October (for proof, see https://www.haiku-os.org/articles/2014-10-27_computer_compatibility_list), back in January I mirrored this list at http://sites.google.com/site/landoftheleaves/compatibility . I will endeavor to add contributors’ names to the list so that all of us get proper credit per model.

Thanks all; long live Haiku!

Thanks for the update. One question: is there still a point at testing with Alpha4.1?

System76 Gazelle Pro
Processor: i7-4700MQ
Version: 49132
Comments:

WORKS: Ethernet, wifi, internal sound, USB, touchpad, SAMSUNG 840 EVO SSD
DOESN’T WORK: HDMI, webcam, SD card slot and my (external) USB audio devices

Haiku doesn’t boot if I have my USB audio devices plugged in and I have to do a little magic trick (boot w/ fail-safe graphics, then change the screen settings, save and then revert them to the desired settings) to get graphics working without blacklisting the Intel GFX driver but apart from that Haiku runs great!

Has anyone loaded Haiku on an Asus eeeBook? I’m wondering specifically about the Asus X205TA with an Intel Atom Z3735; it seems like a great pairing for Haiku.

http://computers.woot.com/offers/asus-eeebook-x205ta-11-6-32gb-notebook-4

I tried and could not install Haiku on a Asus eee PC 1251B. But it is an AMD Brazos, not Intel.

I just added in the contributors next to the respective models on the mirrored list as promised earlier, and have added in the latest models. Please check the mirrored list at https://sites.google.com/site/landoftheleaves/compatibility to check if I made any errors.

I would really like to fix grammatical mistakes and compact the comments in the list so that it appears more professional. In some 2+ paragraph descriptions, I’ve had to do a bit of this already. Would this be okay with everyone here? I’ll try to stay faithful to the original if the answer is yes.

@korli: R1-A4.1 is the “stable” build, but I do understand the nightlies can (and do) patch potential issues. Some models I have tested with nightlies; others with R1-A4.1. If I have more models to test, I’ll test out a nightly with it next time.

@AndrewZ: Thanks, but… what build/revision? Without knowing, it’ll either be “unknown” or I’d have to guess the latest nightly (I did so below):

ASUS eee PC 1251B
Processor: amd64 (Brazos)
Version: Nightly hrev49171
Comments: I tried and could not install Haiku.

I sincerely hope this effort assists the Haiku team and userbase. Thanks again, all!