Chromium (Google Chrome) on Haiku?

AFAIK the ads still loaded, just not displayed.

Yes, I know. But it’s available now and it works, while web browser side blocking will only come later.

Yep, the ad elements are loaded but the ads themselves do not get displayed. uBO blocks those elements from even loading, so no empty spaces are seen.

Calling it a “dirty job” is far-fetcher in my opinion. Firefox - as far as I know - creates only Windows, MacOS and Linux desktop ports. Every other operating system community create their own port.

1 Like

Can you name a community port? I know only about OS/2 and even they can’t maintain it (latest is ~45 or so).

All the BSD ports?

1 Like

I don’t think the involved work from BSD community side comparable what would be required from the Haiku community side, so that’s not really fair comparison, but true, they roll an own port.

Why don’t you polish your skills on WebPositive then?

2 Likes

And keep complaining that Google won’t accept their patches. Which means even more work for us. At least for WebKit we know it’s possible (with a larger team), as we already upstreamed our work once (then it was removed because we were not keeping it up to date).

illumos/OpenIndiana also maintain their own Firefox port.

1 Like

I would better use a wrt with WebPositive than seeing yet another failed try and wasted resources for gigantic program, like webbrowsers.

At the end of the day, I think Webpositive is just a bad idea. Web browsers are critical software: letting people use one without the latest in security is simply dangerous.

@waddlesplash started a bet (no idea, if he still interested in it), but i already took his idea: let’s get the Firefox build system compile at least one file on Haiku, and you will get 200EUR from me. Your patches have to be upstreamable, that’s the only requirement. You can find my contact data everywhere. Have fun!

Meh, slap a zero to the end and post it on Bountysource.com :laughing:

Hmm, that would very likely require Rust to be working in Haiku. Large parts of Gecko are made with Rust nowadays, due to security reasons.

You have luck, Rust is available for Haiku.

3 Likes

Should a modern FF port be attempted, it would likely be best to stick with just ESR versions. They still get security patches back ported, while also easing some burden on maintenance. This is the case with Solaris, as far as I can recall.

If or when ESR won’t be supported anymore we loose the invested work.

Certainly not completely, though. And even if that were to somehow be the case, wouldn’t that still happen if tracking all stable releases?

We are using an up to date port of WebKit (ok, currently a few months late because the newer versions don’t manage to render http://review.haiku-os.org).

Also, if you are in any way worried about this, do not use Haiku. We are running all applications as root, the API has known security problems which makes running as another user useless (for example, you can open any file by its inode number and this will bypass UNIX permisions checks, as well as chroots). The web browser would be the last of your problems then.