Can't download from HaikuDepot

Hi there, I’ve got a problem downloading software via HaikuDepot. I’m using Haiku Beta 1 (32-bit) on a Dell Latitude D600 (Pentium M CPU, 2 GB RAM), Internet access working fine, I can call up HaikuDepot - but it won’t download anything. It tries to, but after the first package the download stops, and an error mesage “Failed to download…” pops up, without stating any reasons. I tried to get a user account in hope of remedying things (though I’ve downloaded before without one), typed in my data - only to get, instead of the desired account, another error message, this one in German: “Der Webdienst hat mit einer wirren Nachricht geantwortet”, meaning literally “The web service answered with a garbled message…”, which is kind of cute, but not really helpful. Any ideas how to fix this?
I also can’t update the software - running the Software Updater, it stops after about 20 of 80 pending updates (I’ve neglected things a bit), stating “Update stopped” or something, again with no reason given. Also, I’ve seen there are lots of updates for 64-bit systems which my system, being 32-bit, couldn’t stomach anyway. Why ist that, and what can I do about it?

Updates from the Beta 1 repositories have been deactivated, which is probably why you are running into so many issues. Beta 2 (and a way to upgrade from Beta 1) should be out within a few weeks, so just hold off until then, if you can – or if you can’t, then upgrade to the nightlies now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, so that’s it! Not my ineptitude, then, for a change.:slight_smile: Thanks! I’ll have to wait until Beta 2 release to get the Links web browser which I noticed on the list, though - one of my favourite browsers (seriously), and possibly a better experience on Haiku than WebPositive, since it is simple by design.

1 Like