Cannot boot Haiku past splash screen

I’ve been trying to boot the Haiku USB installer on my PC, but it never is able to get past the splash screen. It shows the splash screen for 1-2 seconds, and then instantly reboots.

My system:

Motherboard: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K7
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Memory: 32 GB
Storage: WDS100T3X0C-00SJG0 NVME
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 560 (Connected to HDMI and DisplayPort simultaneously)

USB Devices:
* Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard (USB 3.0)
* Corsair Gaming M65 Pro RGB Mouse (USB 3.0)
* WD Elements 25A3 (USB 3.1)

Which version of Haiku are you testing? Beta 3 or the Beta 4 release candidates?

There are still some known problems when booting Ryzen based systems using the old style BIOS/MBR bootloader(ticket 16947 for example). I think it’s still required to set up UEFI in order to boot on a Ryzen.

Which version of Haiku are you testing? Beta 3 or the Beta 4 release candidates?

I have tried both the nightlies and the Beta 4 RC; no dice on either.

There are still some known problems when booting Ryzen based systems using the old style BIOS/MBR bootloader(ticket 16947 for example). I think it’s still required to set up UEFI in order to boot on a Ryzen.

I took a look at the ticket you linked and tried placing the USB as #1 in the boot order; and that did get me closer into the bootup (icons lit up) but the final Installer application never showed.

It could be having a problem initializing the graphics. You can enter the bootloader by pressing shift(or space if it’s trying to boot via UEFI) before the bootsplash and icons appear. I would try enabling the “Use fail-safe graphics driver” option.

1 Like

I tried that and it does not seem to be a graphical issue. However I did find some details that help narrow down the issue.

I enabled debug logging and found that the bootup process seems to get stuck on the following:

Eventually after repeating these errors another message is logged stating that launch_daemon failed to start with error code -1.

So I guess it may be an issue with XHCI?

1 Like

Update: I was able to get farther! It turns out that the SD card reader I was using was being weird. Using another one got me closer, but still not all the way there.

Now it stops at a white screen (on both monitors), and then a few seconds later the signal is lost on my 1st (DisplayPort) monitor. The white screen persists on my 2nd (HDMI) screen. With the failsafe video driver enabled, it boots to the desktop.

Is there any way to utilize the GPU’s own driver, or will I be stuck with the framebuffer driver?

There presently isn’t a driver for Radeon RX series yet but when it comes it should be great! If it’s Vulkan capable, it’s likely to use Vulkan capabilities through new mechanisms for that framework, then use the Zink passthrough driver to translate OpenGL to Vulkan. All in good time though. I was surprised to even see a Radeon HD accelerant for old cards like mine! There’s an enhancement ticket on the Haiku bugtracker for hardware acceleration.

2 Likes

Ah. So I guess I just need to wait for RX drivers to exist before I can really use Haiku “properly”?

1 Like

As far as I know, none of the graphics drivers offer any acceleration over the standard VESA/framebuffer drivers. The main advantage of the “accelerated” drivers compared to the framebuffer driver is being able to change the resolution. You don’t really need to wait to use Haiku properly, just disable the radeon driver for now. The easiest way is probably to edit the file ~/config/settings/kernel/drivers/kernel and enable the failsafe video option permanently.

2 Likes

Alrighty then. Well, as of now I have a mostly working Haiku install! :tada:

All of the major issues I have left are:

• Not being able to boot the bootloader using OpenCore (I have a hackintosh install on this PC so I use the OpenCore bootloader)
  • Not having any sound

Hopefully I can find a way to fix those issues! 🫠

Submitting bug reports would surely help to resolve such some problems you met.

1 Like

Depending on the audio chipset in your PC you may need to download the opensound package(and then reboot) to get the OSS drivers

2 Likes

I’ve already tried to install OpenSound, as well as blacklisting packages and all. It unfortunately doesn’t seem to have any affect however.

I believe my motherboard has an ALC1220 chipset. I’m not sure whether or not it’s properly supported… :sweat_smile:

I have an R9 380 and I have the same symptoms , using UEFI boot on my gigabyte z97-hd3 and using MBR(Legacy mode) booting from an SD Card. I have the same symptoms with another cards including RX 460 / RX 550. I don’t know if this is a problem of the driver or of the UEFI Boot loader. I test with an AMD Ryzen 7 3700x with an Nvidia gtx 1060 6 gb , if it makes the same black screen.