Can Haiku be installed without BeOS yet?

Just wondering as I’ve got this old K6-450 on which BeOS refuses to install. I’d like to get Haiku on there (it would be interesting to see if it will work where BeOS doesn’t) but as I can’t install BeOS it seems I can’t install Haiku. Anyway I could install from Linux perhaps? Or am I out of luck until some Haiku CD images appear?

Dirty Harry wrote:
Just wondering as I've got this old K6-450 on which BeOS refuses to install. I'd like to get Haiku on there (it would be interesting to see if it will work where BeOS doesn't) but as I can't install BeOS it seems I can't install Haiku. Anyway I could install from Linux perhaps? Or am I out of luck until some Haiku CD images appear?

There are plenty of guides popping up that explain how to install it… it’s easiest if you already have BeOS running somewhere - as you can create a BFS partition on a spare HD, mount a downloaded image (or compile it yourself) and copy the files to the HD… then you can plop the HD into your K6-450…

Even if a CD ISO appears, you’d have to jockey the files onto your HD manually as there’s no installer yet that I know of.

Now (as of R172xx, I believe) there is an Installer (called “Installer”, just like in BeOS), but I’m not sure how far you can actually use it. I’m not about to overwrite my BeOS partition to see (as BeOS is still far more usable day-to-day, than Haiku is, at this point), but it told me it couldn’t overwrite the Haiku partition, as that is the one I was booted from.

Luposian

Quote:
Now (as of R172xx, I believe) there is an Installer
How I can test it? Where I can download this boot (?) CD?

There is no “boot CD” (yet), but if the Installer program works in Haiku like it does in BeOS, you can install the contents/state of Haiku onto another BFS-formatted partition and have two of the same setup on two partitions. That’s the extent of it.

Luposian

Dirty Harry wrote:
Anyway I could install from Linux perhaps?

If you’ve already got a Linux box up and running, it’s simple as pie. Check out this guide; follow the “Obtain the Source” section and then jump to the “Linux” section to complete the rest of the build.

Let us know if you have any problems.

Edit: Just realized Dirty Harry posted this a while ago. Oh well…

I have BeFS partition but I can’t boot BeOS (system is crush)
how I can install Haiku there?

What is this “crush” you talk about? Is that the ‘pet name’ of your computer or are you simply saying your system is dead?

Boot from a BeOS CD (the original BeOS R5 Pro version or burn one from the WIND distro, like I did), init the partition you want to install BeOS to (making sure you have/create TWO free, 1Gbyte (or larger) partitions (one for BeOS and one for Haiku), and install BeOS on the one for BeOS. After you’ve got BeOS configured the way you like, get the “Install Haiku” instructions and follow those, getting the programs and files you need, as instructed. Follow them to the letter.

If you only have 56Kbps dial-up, I suggest you reconsider (against) this venture. Many of the files you’ll be downloading and things you’ll be doing involve a total of over 800 megabytes worth of data. And that’s gonna take time… LOTS and L O T S of time (6 hours or more, I’m guessing).

Luposian

Quote:
What is this "crush" you talk about?
As I know BeOS won't work on AMD >2000+ BeOS crush after few second booting.
Rohan wrote:
Quote:

I’m pretty certain the AMD issue is a problem with an unpatched kernel.

Best bet is to use BeOS Max v3.1b as it comes with a pre-patched kernel to boot on AMD machines…

How much RAM?

Are there still no Haiku floppy images built anywhere?

Dirty Harry wrote:

Haiku doesn’t fit on a floppy any more…

Rohan wrote:
Quote:

BeOS R5 + BONE (With a whole lot of patches) works quite happily on my AMD Athlon64 3200+ with 1Gb Ram. It’s a little slow for my taste - but i am able to compile Haiku and Haiku components none the less.

EDIT:
Just to clarify - BONE isn’t required, and ensure you get a Ram limiting patch.

Hm…

BeOS 5 PEMaxEdition V3b2 + AMD 64 3200\1024RAM = crush

it’s possible to write haiku on the CD and than boot from this CD ?

umccullough wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:

How does this work then? http://www.haiku-os.org/wiki/index.php?title=QEMU_BootCD

Sounds like you’d burn Haiku the same way BeOS burned, with two tracks and if I’m reading that right, one of them is the floppy image, and one of them is a disk image.

Dirty Harry wrote:
umccullough wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:

How does this work then? http://www.haiku-os.org/wiki/index.php?title=QEMU_BootCD

Sounds like you’d burn Haiku the same way BeOS burned, with two tracks and if I’m reading that right, one of them is the floppy image, and one of them is a disk image.

Of course there are Haiku Floppies, but i don’t know of anyone hosting them. You could just build it yourself of course.

skoe wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:

Of course there are Haiku Floppies, but i don’t know of anyone hosting them. You could just build it yourself of course.

Ok, sorry - I didn’t understand what it was in reference to.

I always just build the image or partition directly from the build.

I will take a look at this when I get a chance and see what it takes to build a floppy image and possibly do a test CD ISO…

I think it would be bad form to publicly distribute this at this point, however, even if unofficially… but I’ll post my results when I get some time to play with this.

umccullough wrote:
I think it would be bad form to publicly distribute this at this point, however, even if unofficially... but I'll post my results when I get some time to play with this.

Yeah, the only way I’d like to see bootable Haiku CDs currently would be if it was clearly indicated it’s still pre-alpha. Maybe modify the boot logo that says “Haiku Pre-Alpha” and also have a note in the installation or a first-time startup message telling the user that it’s for testing purposes only because it’s still pre-alpha. And even then, I’d be hesitant.

umccullough wrote:
I think it would be bad form to publicly distribute this at this point, however, even if unofficially... but I'll post my results when I get some time to play with this.

Oh yeah, for sure. It would be nice to be able to put two and two together though, 'cos not everyone has a means of installing R5.

i made a reply to an earlier thread in these forums a while back with a way to create a beos-haiku install boot cd.

basically, burn a normable BeOS install cd and burn haiku.image as track 3. The BeOS installer will then be able to automatically mount "Haiku" and use it as a source target.

and of course, for creating the beos boot cd, check out http://mmadia.zelect.org , which has an archive of beos boot images (just track1 / floppies. not the actual OS. )