Bug Reports

At some point will Haiku implement some type of automated bug reporting process, similar to Windows Error Reporting? Many more bug reports would get into the system this way, since only a few users take the time to file through the current system.

I think it would be useful to have this functionality in debug_server. Please create a ticket for it :slight_smile:

Ticket 10329 created.

I wonder how many crashes go unreported by Haiku users? During the initial development phase of Haiku, I’d think bug reports are probably of the utmost importance. It seems there are but a very few people creating tickets. Although I have been using BeOS since 2000, and Haiku since it’s inception, only recently have I started filing bug reports. What Haiku needs is some kind of automatic bug reporting tool, where the user can input a description into a pop-up window and send a report without having to log into the Haiku bugtracker website.

For example, Microsoft reported that data collected from Windows Error Reporting enabled the Windows team to fix 29% of all Windows XP errors with Windows XP SP1 and over half of all Microsoft Office XP errors were fixed with Office XP SP2. Windows error reporting data reveals that there is a small set of bugs that is responsible for the vast majority of the problems users see. Fixing 20% of code defects can eliminate 80% or more of the problems users encounter. (Wikipedia)

It should also make bug reporting consistent. The devs would have more control of what data is reported and they may even be able to work up a chart to show them what the most common issues are.