Boot haiku 32bit

I’m reporting a bug on haiku startup (installed in partition)

I hope you come back to someone

This is a forum.

Please check the bugtracker at https://dev.haiku-os.org/ if there is none, then open a new ticket, possibly with more info, like your bootmedia, interface (usb), machine type, etc.

2 Likes

Strange!

Did you follow the recommended steps for installation ( https://www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku/installation-guide/ )?

Also, did you install R1 Alpha 4.1 or the most recent nightly? The nightly releases are more flexible in terms of hardware then R1 Alpha 4.1.

1 Like

Yes, I followed that procedure. (use a nightly build)

ehm… disk is a gpt table, is it important?

P.S.
Feel again Thnx v.m.

The type of disk partitioning scheme is important.

I am uncertain if Haiku 32-bit and a GPT formatted disk mesh together well.

Have a look at the discussion in ( Haiku on GPT formated disk ) - there may be useful hints.

1 Like

Oh, well I test nightly (5200) and R1 alpha 4.1 (on USB and CD,idem)

Do you want a lspci (linux kernel 4.16)?

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1576
00:00.2 IOMMU: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1577
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device 98e4 (rev d4)
00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device 15b3
00:02.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 157b
00:02.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 157c
00:02.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 157c
00:02.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 157c
00:03.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 157b
00:08.0 Encryption controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1578
00:09.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 157d
00:09.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 157a
00:10.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB XHCI Controller (rev 20)
00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 4b)
00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB EHCI Controller (rev 49)
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 4b)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 11)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 15b0
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 15b1
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 15b2
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 15b3
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 15b4
00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 15b5
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 24fb (rev 10)

Unfortunately the most useful information (the actual crash message) is not visible here. Could you reproduce this, run message at the prompt, and then upload that screenshot?

1 Like

Very few OSes can boot from GPT disk on BIOS systems, and Haiku is one of them. I have absolutely no problems in getting Haiku installed and boot in this configuration. Additionally, there is no difference in installing Haiku on MBR primary partition or MBR logical partition or GPT disk partition or on USB flash drive.

1 Like

Somewhat puzzled as you are referring to CD and USB.

Did you succeed in booting Hrev5200 nightly from CD or USB and install on the hard disk?

I am noticing on the screen shot that your system is a HP Notebook - which model is-it? I have had some challenges with a ProBook 450 G3.

in two case, boot (image) to usb and boot to (iso) CD, output is egual

Excuse for my bad english… i’m old man and I have not spoken english for many years (30)

My PC is a HP 255 G6

P.S:
I installed haiku on hdd through virtualbox, and the output is different, as the image of the first post
es.
VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename my_hdd_file.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda

and install haiku.

You didn’t run message in that new screenshot…

I have never played with Virtual Box. However, the command you describe, VBoxManage, seems to be for the creation of a virtual machine (the *.vmdk file) from a raw disk. This virtual machine can only be booted through Virtual Box. It cannot be booted in a bare metal environment.

It seems that HP implements the USB protocols in a way not compatible with Haiku in the latest iterations of their systems. The specifications for the HP 255 G65 are (2) USB 3.1 (Gen 1) (left side) and (1) USB 2.0 (right side). I have not succeeded in booting Haiku from a USB drive on the ProBook 450 G3 and it does not matter whether a USB 2.0 port or USB 3.0 port is used.

If the optical drive is internal, Haiku should be able to boot. However, if the optical drive is external, and via USB, the boot loader cannot find the Haiku partition due to underlying device assumptions.

Don’t have a new cd-rom… only dvd in this moment… (that’s why, I used virtualbox);

file *.vmdk is not a virtualmachine… is a your raw disk in the machine (hp 255 g65) use virtualbox for great compatibily hardware and permitted installation on the disk (hp 255 g65), but there is also a problem with this trick (look my first post), usually in other PCs, I have no problems with this method

I try boot from usb left and right and create a video (haiku 52014)

tnx

P.S.
Boot from usb left https://imgur.com/a/ikBauHV

boot from usb right https://imgur.com/a/FRO6d2B

good boot from USB left, hdd not found https://imgur.com/a/FRO6d2B

I have read more about “VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk” and it seems that it can adapt/copy the virtual machine file to the raw disk. However, the underlying assumption is that the bare metal machine can boot it. This does not seem to be the case here.

There are two possibilities:

• Haiku is not amenable to this trick.
    or
  • Some device drivers in Haiku don’t mesh with the HP 255 G6.

This is really detective work:

• Try the “createrawmvdk” trick with Haiku on a PC for which the trick worked with Linux distributions.
  • Try the “createrawmvdk” trick on the HP 255 G6 with a Linux distribution known to be successfully installed in this fashion on other PCs.

Hopefully, the outcome of these two tests will tell you how to proceed further.

If I understand well, the optical drive you are using is internal to the HP 255 G6. If this is correct, then it may be worth trying booting Haiku in “Safe Mode” - press the Space Bar as soon as the boot loader kicks in. Enabling “Safe Mode” and “VESA Video” often do “miracles” for notebooks".

1 Like

It does work on my older system, using MBR style booting it can run Haiku directly on the hardware or in a VirtualBox VM. My notes on setting that up are at http://web.ncf.ca/au829/WeekendReports/20121130/InstallingHaikuR1A4.html though it does mean using a second hard drive to do the MBR boot in a system that has GPT partitions on the main disk drive.

1 Like

I’m sure the problem is this:

Some device drivers in Haiku don’t mesh with the HP 255 G6.

Thank you very much to everyone.
Thanks for listening to me

P.S.
I use a Virtualbox, because don’t have a cd-rom (empty), use only .iso, and because I can install it in the hard disk, always.

What about enabling on screen debug from the Haiku bootloader and see if some hardware hangs it?