Blender and gallium on haiku

cosmogatokat, you didn’t got it:

• Haiku gcc2h (the official supported version) comes with 2 arch: x86_gcc2 and x86_gcc5
  • Blender will never run on gcc2h haiku as primary arch, but there is a chance that it could be built on secondary arch (as it compiles on x86_64 just fine and gcc2h got the same compiler as secondary arch)
  • You trying to build it hovewer for primary arch ( haikuporter blender-2.78a --get-dependencies <- see, no x86 in your command so haikuporter will try build for primary arch)
  • There is no libgomp for gcc2 primary arch AFAIK

So, please, do a favor:

Remove the second ! from this line:
ARCHITECTURES="!x86_gcc2 **!**x86 x86_64"

(you can remove the first one too, but it won’t change the fact, that blender will NEVER EVER work on gcc2h primary arch. It is written in stone.)

And run haikuporter as:
haikuporter blender_x86 --get-dependencies

It MUST be _x86, because it tells to HaikuPorter, that the target arch is the secondary arch, and it needs the get-dependencies, because you do not want to build everything, just blender.

Hope it helps.
If it isn’t clear, please invest some time to understand the concept, the haikuporter wiki explains everything and the guys and girls at the Haiku IRC are really nice and helpful.

Bye,
–m.

you also need to add:

SECONDARY_ARCHITECTURES=“x86”

in the recipe, if it is not already there.

And it is likely that you will need to add “$secondaryArchSuffix” in many places, if it wasn’t taken care of already.

@PulkoMandy : True, but this wouldn’t work as secondary arch:

-DPYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR=/system/develop/headers/python${PYTHON_VERSION}m/ \
  -DPYTHON_LIBRARY=/system/lib/libpython${PYTHON_VERSION}m.so.1.0 \
  -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/bin/python${PYTHON_VERSION}

@cosmogatokat : just install an x86_64 version. This is the easiest way.

So i got the latest version working yesterday. The patches already in HaikuPorts repo.

Cycles seems to work and the new recipe provides a standalone Cycles too.

7 Likes

I’m planning to introduce secondary-arch support for Blender, so the gcc2h users could install it to.

Then i would like to bring the old Ghost (the Blender GUI toolkit) port up-to date and working condition, as the SDL based graphics not really optimal (plenty glitches, tearing, no windowed mode, etc).

Any help really appreciated.

3 Likes

now just lack is 3dhdw support

2 Likes

3D HDW support might be lacking, but run this on a new AMD CPU with 8 cores and I bet it runs just fine. Nice job, guys!

1 Like

FYI: The Haiku supporting patches upstreamed and merged.

https://developer.blender.org/rB28d2148b09a2d975876f4418bd5ba15ab5edea8d

4 Likes

Hello i am very glad with your work, thanks, to me haiku now only lack the hardware 3d support, later of it i can forget about linux … cause i am gesigning 3d games… and to me haiku is enough stable, only the webroser maybe… but 3d hw support is the only thing that i need for real, to use the blender port for example i suppose…

But why on Haiku? There is no market, only a smal community? If you look back to the evolution from beos to haiku , hardware 3d was a problem and is it now. Please do not think games on haiku does not pretty, no it does. I like it. Drivers are a problem, because you need people who have the expirience and fun to risk there hardware to port or develop and test it. Communitys like linux are very big, drivers comes first to windows because, here is a market and people can make money.

i am using godot engine, it can export for almost any os, but i just need design with blender, edit with gimp or krita, and godot have version for haiku, i just need to tell him to try to export the test for haiku and test the binarys from the developer, or when it is with unity then i should go to linux but… i dont like linux/windows… mm i know haiku from it born, i am carlos cataño on the facebook group :stuck_out_tongue: mmm i know it is far from a real usable os… but i am a fan. :slight_smile:

Yes, me too. But i only can do stuff in yab.

Risk their hardware? I never managed to damage anything from the software side.

Also, writing drivers is not black magic, it is not necessarily more difficult than writing any other piece of software. So this shouldn’t be much of a problem. Especially in Haiku where we have a rather clean interface for drivers (but we could make a better job of documenting it). Writing (or even reading) Linux drivers needs some skills, but the problem is on the Linux side, not on writing drivers :slight_smile: . They just don’t seem to have the same culture of clean & readable code as we have.

1 Like

in juny 2010 i start this thread, :slight_smile: i today i have half of what i need but not only me… i know it can take time but i cant stop dreams…

I have no sound. And need to use vesa (but with a good resolution)

i cant use dual screens and everything else work fine … but 3d hw :(, maybe uvc drivers? for tv, as i know it can enable saa71xx mmm yeah i know it need a lot of work… but with recently updates it gain confidence and is a call for… but beta should be free on december :frowning: next beta can be on december or january too :3 if just it can be annual…

Blender built just right now: http://vmpkg.haiku-os.org/master/x86_64/logviewer.html?buildruns/643/builds/9073.log
Theoreticall it will be avilable shortly in the Depot for x86_64 and for current.

4 Likes

Lucky us Blender does not require HW rendering to be usable. It’s not real-time rendering so a bit of slow rendering doesn’t kill it. But until haiku has 3D hw support that’s more in the category of “we can” than “it’s useful” :smiley:

1 Like