Beta1 on Sony Vaio VGN-SR29XN: screen issues on both internal and external screens

Just installed beta1 on my old Sony Vaio, it’s a pleasure to have it on a bare metal :slight_smile: some KDL here and there and vesa legacy mode on it for allowing it to boot, but it works :slight_smile:

unfortunately, having lot of screen issues makes it almost unusable.

Basically, the box seems to start with the screen brightness at minimum (i say “seems” because Bios screen is full bright, instead). Ofc, keyboard controls don’t work on Haiku as expected, but neither they works before booting (on bios and on boot screen, for example)

(I’m wondering if setting the brightness with, for ex,. an Ubuntu live the settings will persist…)

So, I tried to plug to my dekstop screen with a VGA cable. It’s ok to me to use this way for now.
I know that app_server don’t support more than one screen atm, but I guessed there’s a way to switch, powering the internal LCD off while outputting to VGA. Cloning it would be ok too.

Well, this is really weird. Screen preflet correctly shows the name of my desktop screen (Eizo EV2436W 24.1) but the internal LCD still shows the desktop while no signal is sent to the external screen*. Also the resolutions available in the preflets are those of the LCD, not the native of the external screen (or are they forced by legacy VESA?).

• apparently. The Eizo has a “signal” button to scan all the sources. While in “D-Sub” it skips to the next source as there’s no signal. But I’ve no way to make it stay on the source, to perform more tests or to press some buttons on the laptop in the meanwhile (:joy:)

Any idea?

Vesa provides absolutely minimal features.

Post a copy of your /var/log/syslog (note that it rolls over to syslog.old), output of listdev and listusb commands then we can talk :slight_smile:

Well, on vesa we can’t fix much most likely. Unfortunately we can do only what the bios lets us. So you should report the problems to Sony (good luck with that).
You should however complain to us about the non-vesa mode, maybe we can improve on that at least.

tnx allot for feedback, i’m going to find a way to post syslog and other debug stuff (when I say it is barery readable i’m optimistic. It’s no readable at all actually) :sob:

EDIT:

Here we go (belive me or not I had to put my photographic spots set toward the screen to barely read something!):

verbose boot sequence shows no error (no way to dump, as the Vaio as no serial port)

hope this helps!

For finding the relevant portions of a text file, like syslog, you can right-click the file and choose to open with TextSearch. It’s pretty handy!

Yeah that’s pretty neat I wish it showed the whole text file to begin with… otherwise it appears that it didn’t load the text file even though it actually has.

1 Like

i’m sorry perhaps I lost. Are not those files the one you’ve asked me to provide you? Did I miss something?

As I said, the screen is so dim that’s is almost impossible to work with. I spent 20min only to copypaste these files on pastebin (adjusting room lights, u know). It’s almost impossible to me to cut and edit files in such conditions :slight_smile:

Sorry, I forgot about the dim screen. I misinterpreted “no readable” as “This looks like meaningless gobbledygook.”.

I merely meant that (if you had a reasonably bright screen) you could easily search for interesting items, such as “FAIL” or any references to the desired device or desired device type.

The Vaio VGN-B100B I sometimes use remembers the last brightness set by any OS, but it’s ancient. Actually, I haven’t tried changing the brightness for it in Haiku in a couple years. x-:

well, I finally did it…altought not directly with Haiku

I was able to adjust brightness from an UbuntuLive stick…as I hoped, at reboot, the settings where preserved and now I finally have Haiku at full bright with sound and Wifi. :yum:

Just need to make the intel graphic driver working so I could use my external monitor for more comfort.

This is amazingly fast even with an old ans worn 240Gb cheap SSD

Do you think would be very difficult to create a keyboard driver that add supports to Fn and media keys?

1 Like

Fixing media keys like brightness control etc… requires some work, Haiku has to implement drivers to control all that stuff. Perhaps the wifi on/off key could already work and maybe touchpad rejection.