ARM port status

ARM port would be interesting for M1 too…

2 Likes

Even then, out of the millions of them, there has to be at least one with the needed knowledge? To me that seems more likely than finding one of the <100 Haiku developers who has time for it. (a generous estimation, usually we get commits from 50-70 different people every year but a lot of them do one or two changes and move on).

There is also the problem that the Pi is not really a computer, but more a development/tinkering board. Personally, I would not make it my main computer. The Pi 400 changes this a bit, but for a developer it is still not a super powerful and extensible machine. I think the choice of RISC-V hardware is also in that direction: it makes for a nicer development system.

Apple M1 could be nice but it will require a lot of reverse engineering work and will not be easy. Maybe the Pinebook pro or some ARM-based motherboards, I think waddlesplash had considered getting one of these but the price was very high and in the end he decided to stay on x86.

4 Likes

I am working on bootstrap build packages for ARM64, but my time is fairly limited at the moment.

3 Likes

Maybe the overall message is that there’s an appetite for ARM support, doesn’t have to be specifically RPi, but that’s what the masses gravitate to. The PineBook would be an amazing candidate for Haiku, as would an M1 Mac once Marcan is done getting Linux to work on it (so we can see how he did it, it’s not easy or simple). I’ve been keeping up with Marcan’s updates, and getting Haiku to work on M1 would be an enormous task.

I bought a PineBook but never did much with it. I’d happily give it to @waddlesplash if he wants it. The nice thing about the PineBooks is the serial output for debugging.

2 Likes

I believe once the system works stable and the pending bugs are fixed and R1 is released, there would be enough new developer interest to improve new platform ports.

All in good time.

Lots of people saying that, but not so many of them actually putting in efforts to make it happen. To me, that means the interest is not that strong, not at “shut up and take my money” level, but more “yeah that would be cool, I will install it on my Pi, play with it for 30 minutes, and then store it back in a drawer where it’s sleeping now”.

Feel free to prove me wrong on that, though!

2 Likes

The RockPro64 is basically a PineBook Pro in desktop form. Just saying… half the cost…

1 Like

Do you for instance realize that the Pi is even used in commercial, even industrial, products outthere? We are working with a company that does at least… Also I was/I am investigating ARM use for our company (I have our software running on i.e. Haiku, see somewere on the forum, Lazarus) and since we might be shipping lowcost systems in the future we might even use something like this ourselves. Since Haiku isn’t available, it will probably be linux; though I think I’ll probably demo Haiku-on-a-stick, with our software as a proof of concept for i.e. crash-recovery / emergency use, to some of our customers…

Next to me are multiple and various types of Pi, and also a tinkerboard, and indeed, I’d love to see Haiku on it. Though I must admit, I am also advertizing Risc-V64 as followup systems for some products in our company :wink:

(sorry, I guess off topic partly…)

11 Likes

OffTopic too* :slight_smile: did you manage to get Lazarus to build? It fails here in the end linking with libQt5Pas :frowning:

I crosscompiled for Haiku on Windows 7, with a few adaptations to the termios serial port ‘hooks’ as Lazarus/FPC lags in that respect making this unusable by default. I even posted a bugreport for that I remember, but I think it’s too low prio for them to even look at it.

EDIT: Hmm, OK, my fail.
Found the bugreport over at FPC:

Can someone more knowledgable than me in this respect please take over here?? I don’t know what to answer precicely!

I also created packages for lazarus on Haiku, so it indeed ran/runs on it. It’s still up on my page, and the link should still be up in the forum somewhere…

EDIT: it’s here:

1 Like

So about the bugreport over at FPC:

Can someone please help with answering these questions?

These are (the last one is most tricky for me :wink: ):

Just a few points I’d like to have cleared up:

• in termios.inc it’s essentially only the name of a few constants that were changed (and some added)?
  • the only effective changes for termiosproc.inc are the changes in CFSetISpeed and CFSetOSpeed?
  • is there a reason why you changed from using imports for tcflow(), tcflush() and tcdrain() to using fpIoCtl? From what I can see the code for them in libroot looks the same, but now we’d have the problem should these implementations be changed we’d have to update termiosproc.inc again as well
2 Likes

I’ve updated the packages for FPC at haikuports to the latest version (3.2.2), there is also a source package available, only part I need to figure out is how to link Lazarus with libQt5Pas (also in haikuports now) :slight_smile:
I would love to help out on the termios.inc issue, but my knowledge is less to zero on that part :slight_smile:

1 Like

I suppose beside developpers, there are not that many people using Haiku as their main OS. I really enjoy it, and certainly used it more than 30 minutes, but I have more facilities with all the stuff I have on my Linux box (especially also because I’m using firefox and web most of the time).

When RISC OS was available on the Raspberry Pi, it immediately raised attention of many users to this OS, and I’m sure it would be the same with Haiku.

I don’t desperately need to have Haiku on my Raspberry Pi (I can run it natively on my i5 computer, with decent power and speed), but it would indeed be very cool.

If there were a bounty / crowdfunding for a serious developper to reach this goal, I’d happily share a few bucks for this project…

You’re at least partially wrong here.
My interest is so high that I would say “shut up and take my money” if it was that easy but technical knowledge is needed in this case.
I already own a Raspberry Pi 400 (bought it to try Haiku,didn’t read to the point where it says that the ARM port doesn’t boot yet lol) which could be used to work on the ARM port.
However,I’m a web developer who does stuff with PHP and Javascript and I have zero knowledge about C++.
If you can tell me what to do,I’d be willing to put in some effort and spare time to make it work :wink:
It’s the the knowledge for such low-level stuff that’s missing and not the interest.

2 Likes

Instructions here: Compiling Haiku for Arm | Haiku Project

I think the basic idea is to get it to run as far as it will while observing console output from qemu, and fix what is broken. Then recompile and try again. I’m still at that stage of figuring out what to do.

3 Likes