Another option for a Haiku IDE - "Geany"

Hi all -

I saw that there’s an IDE coming for Haiku (called GeneStation - interesting name… :slight_smile: ).

There’s another excellent IDE worth looking at for Haiku as well, called Geany - ( http://geany.uvena.de/ ). It is small, fast, very clean layout and beautifully designed. Well worth having a look at. I think its license is GPL ( so that may be a problem), but I just thought I’d mention it. Always good to see what’s out there… ;-).

• latte

Geany would be nice, but GeneStation uses the Be API, which makes porting it to Haiku a trivial matter. For Geany we would need GTK+ and the entire GNU toolchain. It will come (even I’m hoping for it :)) but I’m sure the team would first like to get the OS working, right?

BTW, Haiku will also need stuff like Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP, the GNU toolchain (or something similar), Java … before we can even think of having IDE’s. What will you develop with just an IDE, eh? :wink:

GM

[quote=General Maximus]Geany would be nice, but GeneStation uses the Be API, which makes porting it to Haiku a trivial matter. For Geany we would need GTK+ and the entire GNU toolchain. It will come (even I’m hoping for it :)) but I’m sure the team would first like to get the OS working, right?

BTW, Haiku will also need stuff like Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP, the GNU toolchain (or something similar), Java … before we can even think of having IDE’s. What will you develop with just an IDE, eh? :wink:

GM[/quote]

Hi General Maximus -
That’s fair comment. Anyway, it’s really good that GeneStation is coming along. ( You’re right too in mentioning that there’s not much point in having an IDE without the programming languages to use it with! )
Bye for now -

• latte

Of course, it wouldn’t be necessary to have other languages to begin with (since you can just can make a c/c++ ide to begin with). In fact, lots of languages in one IDE kinda adds bloat in some cases (as opposed to different editors for different languages).
Even in Haiku’s current state, an IDE could provide a graphical interface to coding, sytax highlighting, project management, source control, etc…

What are the extra tools that Haiku needs? Might you be interested in providing a list of the type of tools needed?

Personally, I want to see REBOL on Haiku. A language with internet and GUI tightly integrated - would be the ideal scripting language on Haiku for me…

Hi -

Yes, that’d be really good to see!

I thought I’d mention an open-source clone of Rebol called “Orca”. It has been chosen by the Syllable devs as the scripting language for Syllable (I’m sure other languages will be supported too). The Syllable FAQ here

http://web.syllable.org/documentation/FAQ.html

• mentions that “Kaj de Vos … is (also) the driving force behind the integration of the REBOL-like ORCA scripting language into Syllable.”

Sorry for the brief detour into another OS here, but I thought Orca was worth mentioning. I imagine very few people have heard about it yet.

• latte

I just ran Python from a terminal but no ide. That’s why i’m off. If Geany comes to Haiku and opens up my Python files - i’ll certainly come and have another go. Geany is fantastic.

See you later, Adam, it’s 10 years old …