Alpha 4.1 Won't Boot on IBM ThinkPad X30

Hi all,

I have an IBM ThinkPad X30. I currently have Haiku Alpha 3 installed on the internal hard drive. I installed it a few days ago from a USB thumb drive. I am trying to boot Alpha 4.1 off of a USB thumb drive. It currently does not work.

On the graphical boot screen, the rocket (the last icon) lights up and then the boot hangs with the USB thumb drive’s light still flashing. The system still responds to Ctrl-Alt-Del at this point.

If I enable the on screen debug output, the final lines displayed are:

est: cpu_type: 4203 vendor 4096 model 107 est:extended_features: 0 PMA: found no free slot to store 64 bytes, waiting Last message repeated 2 times. usb_disk: operation 0x35 failed at the SCSI level usb_disk: request_sense: key: 0x05; asc: 0x20; ascq: 0x00; usb_disk: request_sense: illegal request PMA: found no free slot to store 64 bytes, waiting Last message repeated 15 times. Last message repeated 13 times. Last message repeated 6 times.

At this point, the boot hangs with the USB thumb drive’s light still flashing.

The number of PMA: found no free slot… and Last message repeated messages varies. Additionally, I once saw

PMA: found no free slot to store 32 bytes, waiting

between the typical 64 byte messages. Also, the same time the 32 byte version of the error appeared, the three usb_disk: lines were not present (or at least they didn’t show up in their usual place at the end of the boot sequence).

I also tried the hrev45770 Nightly Image with a similar result.

I am posting here to see if there’s a fix and also to get my approach to the problem sorted out before I file a bug report.

Thanks in advance,
James (“Robertson”)

The message comes from usb bus manager:

http://haiku.it.su.se:8180/source/xref/src/add-ons/kernel/bus_managers/usb/PhysicalMemoryAllocator.cpp#217

Could you try to boot via cd-rom or just boot from A3 usb, plug in another usb thumb with a nightly image and use the latter in Install from menu of the Installer. And please file a ticket against Drivers/USB component.

Ideally it would be useful to go back and download several post A3 nightly images and using binary search try to find in which range this problem has been introduced.

Dear Diver,

Thank you for your reply.

I have booted from a USB drive with Alpha 3 and have installed Alpha 4.1 on the hard drive. My mind is blown. What an elegant and functional program the Haiku Installer is. I suppose I should move on to the most recent nightly now.

On to filing the bug report and commencing the binary search for where things began to go wrong USB-wise.

Many thanks,
James (“Robertson”)

P.S. I can’t boot from CD-ROM because the X30 doesn’t have an optical drive. I got the MacBook Air experience a few years early. (:

(Longer story: I also bought the X3 Media Slice (if memory serves) which was basically a docking station with an optical drive. Unfortunately it died a few years ago. I can use an external USB optical drive, but it results in the same issue as booting from a USB thumb drive.)

Glad it worked :slight_smile:

You can use commit revisions of the usb bus manager as a possible hint using binary search:

http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/log/src/add-ons/kernel/bus_managers/usb

Alpha 3 revision is hrev42211.

The bug report is at http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/9832 if anyone is interested in following the progress on this issue.