Adding snapshots to BFS

My fave feature of ZFS and BTRFS is snapshots. AFAIK BFS isn’t a CoW capable FS so maybe there is no efficient way to implement this but have any of the Haiku devs investigated if there might be a way to implement snapshots for BFS?

Has anyone tested BTRFS snapshots under Haiku? How fully featured is Haiku’s BTRFS support? It does support writing, right/write?

btrfs is currently read-only in Haiku, and I don’t think it allows accessing the snapshots.

1 Like

Wasn’t there some work done towards enabling BTRFS write support? Obviously that wasn’t completed but was there a problem with Haiku that was holding that up at the time?

No particular problem, it’s just a lot of work. If i remember correctly, we have support for creating directories, but not files yet. And the GSoC student who worked on it didn’t continue after GSoC ended. There is not a lot of interest from other developers because there are more important things to do at the moment.

1 Like

Likely not before a bfs2 or something.

Fwiw some advantages zfs gives gor system states we already have, just only for activated package states.

2 Likes