A Thumbnail view for Tracker

I remember, i.e. I have looked at the Tracker.newfs code and it would generate, store, and retrieve svg images using an extended version of the same icon cache that Tracker uses to cache the small and large icons for files.

1 Like

Would it make sense to have this more generic and have a special attribute that can hold image data, which Tracker then would use to display the item?

macOS has a function like this, and one can use it to set images for e.g. folders. That is handy if one organized media files. E.g. for a folder of pictures the user could set a typical picture. Or for a music album the folder can show the cover art.

In case of previews a background process could generate the icons for image files and set them as attributes on the files. This way the cached preview lives with the file itself, so you donā€™t have the issue that cache files remain after deleting a file.

2 Likes

Would be great if one could use the attributes to get the images sorted by them.
In Folders!
So you could collect all your pictures in one folder, and Haiku could generate
folders according to the attributes.

Without copying the image-files (only the path to the one origin image-file with all the attributes in them. If needed one can use the query, as now.

If one will dragā€™n drop an image to a folder it could get the attribute from the folder.
I think it would be a great step for actually using Haiku.

The user will be able to easy sort all those image-files without (or at least with less) copying them! So reduce the time to sort the Images manually.

It would then be possible too to get a ancestor kind of file structure only by query. And they would be easy acquired (reached) and found by the user.

BTW.: there should be more positive articles again about Haiku, BeOs and the use of its advantages.

Mark text, and dragā€™n drop these files for example like the bookmark feature.
Or the dragā€™n drop of pictures out of a Videofile.
Drag and drop a font-Icon to change the font of a word or marked text.
Drag a picture file to a gradient field to correct its curves. (CMYK, RGB)

Filer probably can do most of this.

Ah nice, never tried.
But anyway would be great to see the thumbnails first, then?

I really hope that once thumbnails are implemented for Tracker, it will also be available in the query result window - I noticed that the query result window does not support icon view, only list view.

For setting attributes by drag-n-drop, you could also try xicon that was recently mentioned in https://discuss.haiku-os.org/t/fun-with-image-attributes-first-baby-steps

1 Like