I have been using Haiku on metal (the only system on an Acer Aspire 7738G) as a main driver for university and office work, for a few days.
In that short timespan I have encountered a ton of bugs and crashes, many of which I cannot properly report because I cannot screenshot anymore (Kernel panics), or applications don’t terminate during the bug so I cannot dump memory or write a log, and it just happens so frequently I’d spend hours a day writing reports.
List of issues I have encountered so far:
- Vision crashes repeatedly whenever I try to change the settings, or just randomly while joining a server. Unusable.
- Only half a dozen mails downloaded from various folders when I put in my mail account, and the inbox isn’t polled at all. Had to use a third party program to get mails to work
- MediaConverter causes a kernel panic when I try to convert from WAV to OGG or FLAC
- Taking a screenshot of the time window once caused my applications to not properly close anymore, and there is a window-shaped rectangle in the middle where graphics “drag” (no buffer updating).
- Ligatures do not work anywhere except LibreOffice, which has a custom font rendering system anyway.
- Cannot connect to a Bluetooth speaker on my bluetooth laptop; I find the speaker, I connect to it, but the button does nothing half the time, and the other half it shows an incoming connection by an invalid device, and then causes a kernel panic. Can’t save the kernel panic either because it freezes entirely and lines render based on where my pointer is.
- When a debugger is debugging a program that refuses to close, I am softlocked and have to hard reset the laptop because the debugger keeps the system from rebooting, and the program cannot quit. Only the Team monitor helps here.
Now, I know that the answer to this is “Haiku is in beta, please report all bugs you find!”, and I agree with that, and I will report all bugs I find from now on, but I am still wondering: is anything wrong with my system or my configuration that you’d know could cause such bugs?
I love the concept of Haiku and the work everyone puts in this; and I WANT to use this as a daily driver, but all of these constant issues drive me mad and make it borderline unusable. Worse is, nobody else seems to encounter them.
I will take out my frustration productively and just start contributing, reporting issues and working with devs on this instead. But I wonder if I am alone with this experience and I did something wrong, or my laptop is simply unique in being broken. Do these issues sound familiar?